Compact wide angle for Hasselblad V-system?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by tron_, Mar 2, 2014.

1. tron_

tron_ Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey guys,

The time has come where I'm in the market for a wide angle lens for my Hasselblad 501c/m. Since I use this camera as a daily carry, I am looking for something that is relatively compact and similar to the weight of the CZ 80mm 2.8 I usually have on the camera.

What are my options here? I don't mind trading a bit of image quality in exchange for compactness. Also, please don't just tell me to get a SWC :smile:.

Thanks!
    Suraj

2. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For Hasselblad, one doesn't have a choice of lens styles/formulations/versions of the same focal length from different manufacturers like one finds for Leica M. There are single choices for each focal length available. So, wider than 80, ones choices are the 60mm, 50mm, and 40mm. That's it. Which focal length do you prefer. I'm guessing that the 50 (feels like a 28 in 35mm format) will do the trick. 60 isn't wide enough for me. 40 is really cool, but not a small or light lens.

3. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suggest the 50 too, but I have to say, the 40 FLE is really not all that much bigger or heavier than the 50FLE, I was pleasantly surprised by this. However, either the 40 or 50 is about twice the size of the 80, you just get used to it.

4. frank

frank Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the older T* versions, and my 40 is significantly bigger than my 50.

5. karl

karl Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    The 40 CF FLE is quite a bit bigger than the 50 as well.

6. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll post a photo of both with the shades on and off, not a lot of difference in my direct experience.

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Unless you can find a third-party lens, I don't think that you'll find anything. Zeiss never opted for portability if it meant compromising image quality.

There are very few compact Zeiss lenses for any format, and none that I can recall for medium format systems.

8. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Really? A 501cm is your daily carry? For how long now?

9. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    50/4 or 60/3,5. The latter is quite close to your 80mm but the difference is visible. We had another thread on Hasselblad wide angles some days ago with some sample pictures of how the different focal lengths compare. If you only want one compact lens to carry around and leave the 80mm at home, I would recommend the 60mm. If you want to carry an additional lens then 80mm + 50mm or 80mm + 40mm.

10. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You want the 50mm lens. The 60mm lens is too close to the 80mm and the 60mm lens is not wide enough. The 40mm lens is probably too wide for what you want and way to large and heavy. Also the 40mm lens and the SWC are so wide that they are limited in use compared to the 50mm lens.

11. tron_

tron_ Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup it's been a little over a year now. 501cm, PM5 prism, CZ 80mm 2.8, and A12 back. Wear it across my chest "purse" style. Keep in mind my previous daily carry was a Mamiya RZ67 for almost 2 years :whistling:

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. There are different versions of the 50mm, is there a good resource that explains the differences? I haven't been able to find anything definitive on Google.

12. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One thing to consider is the size of filters. According to a 1996 catalog I have, the Distagon CF 4/40 takes 93mm filters while the CF50 and CF60 take the 60mm filters as would the 80 and other lenses until you get up to the 350 and 500. I have a 50 that I am very pleased with but if you are looking for light weight it is 1lb 12oz and the 60 is only 4oz less. A wide strap is helpful.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

13. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a great solution to the filter size of the 40, I made a post about it and have just included photos of the 40 FLE next to the 50 FLE:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum51/127926-great-filter-option-hasselblad-40mm-fle.html

This site is a pretty good one for sussing it all out, but as far as I know the differences are the following:

1. 50mm C lens, non-T* coated, silver cosmetics, sharp at infinity but only decent at close range, not as good of coatings as later, parts are no longer made.

2. 50mm C lens, T* black cosmetics, same optical design as above, better coatings, still will have issues getting service due to shortage of parts.

3. 50mm CF lens, newer style and often preferred mechanics, same optical formula as above, T* coated, parts are much easier to find and for now are still made. Likely the best value if on a budget.

4. 50mm CF, CFi and CFE FLE, new optical design with a user selectable floating element resulting in much better close range correction, the least expensive version being the CF at $600-$800 depending on luck and condition.

Some have said that the focus action on the newer CFi and CFE lenses are easier to pull, but for most of us analog shooters, the 50 CF lenses, either the non-FLE or the FLE represent the best value. That's my take on it at least...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2014
  14. jspillane

jspillane Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    EDIT: I see PKM beat me to it with all the info there is, really!

Best place to learn about the technical differences between the different Hasselblad lenses:
    http://www.hasselbladhistorical.eu/HW/HWLds.aspx

Other than the optical difference between the old 50mm and the FLE, the rest is pretty minor differences in body design. The older 50mm C lenses will all be non-FLE, weigh a little more, and takes 63mm drop-in filters (a little hard to find, I think, but some people find was to use 67mm filters). All the later versions will take B60 filters. The standard advice is to get the newest lens that fits your budget. The CF non-FLE's go for a lot less than the CF (FLE) lenses.

15. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you want compact WA, get one of the SWCs :smile: If you want the 50, I have a mint CFi 50 FLE on sale in the classifieds. Just saying' :smile:

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just love mint. Do you have any other flavors, like chocolate?

17. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Don't have any chocolate, but I do have quite a few of fugly.