Comparison of Portrayers Filters - Soft Focus

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Terrance Hounsell, Apr 10, 2007.

1. Terrance Hounsell

Terrance Hounsell Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    For no particular reason except that I had an hour to kill on Monday I did the following comparison test to compare the soft focus effect of the Minolta Portrayer Soft Focus Filters on a non-portrait subject.

1) No filter
    2) Portrayer P1
    3) Portrayer P2
    4) Portrayer P3
    (photos are labeled to avoid confusion and P2 and P3 photos are lower resolution because of upload space restrictions)

The "P" series are supposed to be used with portraits and are reputed designed to softed skin tones only without affecting other areas. I normally use these with female portraits as the 85mm G series lens lens is often too sharp and thus a bit unforgiving. There is another set of Portrayers the "S" series but I don't own a set of those.

Lens: Minolta Maxxum 85mm f/1.4 G Series
    Exposure: 1/5 second at f/5.6
    Lighting: Photogenics PL375 with 30"x40" softbox to the right and black gobo opposite to the left.

Attached Files:

2. Daniel_OB

Daniel_OB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have Zeiss softar. Are that minolta the same think (random small lenses on the surface of the filter, or circular grooves?

F5.6 for portrait and 80-85 mm is large oppening, might be top ussible. Effect of softar is very different at different oppenings and different light.

Thanks for your post and your time, I think that test is very useful think.
    Where one can get that minolta "softar"? B&H?

www.Leica-R.com

3. Terrance Hounsell

Terrance Hounsell Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    How do Portrayer filters work?

4. wus

wus Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry for this late answer (if it's of any interest to anyone here at all), but I think there are neither small lenses nor grooves on the Minolta Portrayer filters of type P. As I understood from a magazine article that was published in the mid or late 80s (when I bought my set of 3 Portrayer type P, 72 mm), they are patches of color selective coatings which slightly blur colors that are typical for skin impurities (reddish / rose / purple) but not others, so that pictures taken with these filters retain a good overall detail and contrast, but skin impurities such as pimples or acne are less visible.

5. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And now that this old thread has been revived ...

If they have circular grooves, they are not Softars, but Dutto filters.

6. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the first that I have heard of the Portrayer filters. If they were made in 49 and 55 mm sizes, I might be interested.