Compendium hoods/masks with 4x5

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by michael_r, Aug 21, 2012.

1. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What kind of hoods are you using with normal focal length and wide angle lenses?

I'm thinking about getting a Lee compendium hood. I don't have any Lee stuff and I'm not interested in their filter holders etc so I'm not sure how these hoods would hook onto the camera or lens. Since I'm using some huge wide angle lenses along with the normal focal lengths, I'm wondering if I should get the Lee wide angle hood and use that for all purposes - although still have no idea how I'll put it on the lens or attach it to the camera.

To anyone out there who also masks the lens, I'm curious to hear about how you do it. I'm hoping if I get the Lee wide angle hood I can somehow put together a kind of makeshift mask or cardboard blades or something I can attach to the lens hood.

I always wanted some type of adjustable hood that also had masking blades, but I don't know of anything unless you are in the Sinar or Linhof system, which I'm not. Anyway even so, the prices on those particular accessories are mildly insane to say the least.

2. Shawn Dougherty

Shawn Dougherty Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I hear ya... I desperately want THIS for my Toyo 45AII but it's outta sight price wise. I only really need it for my Nikkor 90mm f4.5. It has 82mm threads and I've got no hood for it at this point. There have been a couple of pictures I had to abandon because I could not properly shade my lens.

If you get the Lee I'm curious to hear what you think of it.

3. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The prices are just ridiculous when you think about what the thing is - hardly a "precision" device.

I'm assuming I can make the Lee thing work - that is if it will fit over the monster 112mm center filter on the 72/90XL. But then I still need some way of masking. Anyway I'll see what I can figure out. Maybe I'll look for used Sinar or Linhof masking attachments.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a hood like that at a camera fair in the spring, cost was £5 ($8 approx), I've made it fit. For a small fraction of that Toyo price I can buy a much better pre-WWII hood, there nothing new here :D

Ian

5. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about masking, Ian? Do any of that? (reduces camera and veiling flare substantially, particularly with wide coverage lenses). I get the feeling few people bother with that technique.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With my compendium hood there's no need for masking as they are very deep. I'd forgotten I have one with my 10x8 Agfa Ansco Commercial View as well that came with the camera, although my Dagor is 1939/40 in fact it's coated and doesn't flare.

I have use masks to help prevent flare with some 35mm wide angle lenses but most of my main LF lenses are rather resistant to flare although I'll shade a lens from the sun when I can.

Ian

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You only really need masking blades if you are using a long lens, and the shade isn't long enough, or if you are using fairly extreme movements and the shade isn't flexible enough to deal with it. For instance, if you have maximum front rise, and you have to set the compendium shade wider than normal for that lens to avoid vignetting, and then you want to mask off the other three sides of the image. Alternately, if you are shooting 6x12, you might want to use the masks to conform to the shape of the frame.

The goal of the compendium isn't only to prevent bright light from falling on the lens, but to minimize non-image light that can reduce contrast by bouncing around inside the lens and reflecting off the inside of the bellows.

8. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem is if you have a variety of lenses (not only focal lengths but physical sizes) you need a really good compendium design if it is to work well both as a hood (for lens flare) and a mask (for camera flare).

Anyway, the search for solutions continues.

9. Len Middleton

Len Middleton Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Michael,

Depending upon the hood it might be easy enough to make a fixed mask (matching the format) or adjustable blades and fasten it / them (and reposition it for landscape versus portrait format) via velcro dots.

That is the solution I am looking at to use the same hood for my 8x10 and 8x20 cameras.

Figuring out the mounting for the hood itself on two very different cameras is the bigger issue for me.

Hopefully that is a useful concept to you,

Len

10. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Len. Indeed the mounting issue is the most problematic for me.

Thanks for the velcro suggestion - I hadn't thought of that. It's straight forward enough to make some "blades" or a rectangle but I hadn't been able to think of a good way of attaching it to the hood which would allow me to move it around at will depending on camera movements.

11. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Over on the LF forum someone came up with a good design for a barn door adjustable hood. Such a thing doesn't mask the corners, but you can adjust each door independently and rotate it against direct stray light, so it should work pretty well. I have a Voss clip on hood that I use with some lenses for which I don't have another good shade/filter option. It only has two doors, so not as good as four, but it takes 3" gels and is better than no hood at all.

Yet another adjustable option is a 3-position rubber hood, which isn't as precise as a compendium shade, but is convenient for traveling light.

12. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Out of curiosity - the compendium hoods sold by Shen Hao, Toyo etc, anyone have any specs on those - in particular how large is the opening that fits over the lens. I'm wondering if there is anything out there big enough to fit over the Schneider XLs with center filters attached (112mm).

I spoke to someone at Lee who indicated they have a nifty slip-on attachment specifically to fit their wide angle compendium hood on to the Schneider 90/72 XLs. I like that idea. It's fairly simple. The limtation is it only works with those lenses without the gigantic center filters on. They don't make a hood large enough to fit over those 112mm center filters. Still better than nothing though.

13. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Compendium hoods for 4x5" cameras are often 4" square, so they can hold 4" or 100mm square filters.

14. Len Middleton

Len Middleton Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Michael,

I picked up a Toyo View conpendium hood relatively inexpensively at a camera show. Overall dimensions of the frame for it are about 155mm square (just over 6x6") with an opening of about 125mm square (5x5"). That should handle the filter sizes you are talking about.

I am looking at using the front to mount the 8x10 or 8x20 format mask, and a seond mask on the frame nearest the lens with a circular opening to handle filters in a Calumet Xenphon filter holder for either 4x4 or 3x3 rectangular filters. Both masks looking at using velcro to mount the masks and be able to repostion them.

The funky issue is fitting them onto two very different and old wood cameras without modifying the cameras themselves...

More for you to ponder,

Len

15. Philippe-Georges

Philippe-Georges Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ever tried a gooseneck clamped to you camera and a scrim attached on it?
    In the film industry, this was usual as an alternative or complementary to the matte box. BTW a matte box might work for you too, there are a variety of sizes and adaptors for different lenses and situations!
    An other way, particularly for optical bench camera's, is a second bellows with two stands (can be found used), mounted on the base rail, in front of the lens. This way you can move these bellows accordingly to the lens movements, that's what Sinar (Norma) propagated at the time.

Linhof has a compendium that can be attached in the accessory shoe. This is the one I have for my Linhof, light, flexible and adaptable.
    Below, in the first picture you can see it on the right and in front the filter holder, in the last picture you see the attachment that fits in the accessory shoe (upper left) but here the compendium has been modified a little. How it coms in its simplicity, you can see that in the second picture.

Attached Files: