Composing upside down

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by EASmithV, Jun 18, 2009.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Am I the only one who finds it easier to compose upside down? I tried doing some handheld stuff with the sports finder on my Speed Graphic, and I had a really hard time getting a composition I liked.

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like WLF on smaller cameras to. Upside down isn't an problem.

3. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think viewing upside down ("umop episdn"?) helps to concentrate on the composition as a whole rather than on the objects in the photo. For much the same reason, copying drawings upside down is a standard exercise for art students.

-NT

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2009
  4. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

If you had used your sports finder in australia, you wouldn't have had a problem:D

5. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D:D:D

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, you are not alone.

7. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are not alone...but I am not with you. I would prefer for the ground glass image to always be oriented the same way that the print will be oriented. I don't care enough to use one of those big honking mirror thingies on the back of my camera, however.

8. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It's upside down? After 30 years, I really don't pay much attention to the orientation. And since I make single transfer carbon prints, the images end up backwards...so I don't mind looking at the image reversed on the GG. Not to mention that I learned photography using a TLR Rolleiflex. Backwards is normal enough to me.

Once years ago I remember spending a lot of time under the darkcloth and when I popped my hear out from under it, it was the rest of the world that seemed upside down.

Vaughn

9. nocrop

nocrop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I find that composing upside down often seems easier since the image is more abstract and you don't have the usual pre-conceived notions of how it should look--not that the results are correspondingly better.

10. Thingy

Thingy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I must admit I really don't notice the difference. The key thing for me is composition, so whether the image is upside-down, back-to-front (as with my TLR) or the right-way-up makes little difference. I do prefer focussing on a large format GG though, especially my new Maxwell HI-LUX Ultra Brilliant Matte 4.7 screen which often removes the need to use a focussing cloth!

11. Prest_400

Prest_400 Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    While I haven't used any camera that has a VF/GG that projects images upside down or back to front I think that I Would compose better; Objects distract me a lot.
    However, turning the SLR upside down doesn't work :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  12. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most of my composition is done without looking even at or through a camera, only the framing is done via a viewfinder, ground glass screen or occasionally sports finder. This is regardless of camera type or format.

I do use a Crown Graphic & Speed Graphics hand-held and I focus via the screen and frame via the Viewfinder, or Sports finder when I use a wide angle.

On a tripod I use only the ground glass screen with LF.

Ian

13. Thingy

Thingy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

You need to dangle upsidedown from a trapeze and then looks through yout SLR viewfinder! :wink:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One of the important tricks I teach painters is to turn their paintings upside down on the easel after they have laid down a rough sketch or underpainting. It removes the "meaning" from the objects in the painting and allows them to see the relationship between dark and light, positive and negative space much more easily. If the composition doesn't work upside down, it's probably not very good.

16. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YES!

i had painting teachers like that.
    it is one of the best techniques there is ...

john

17. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    At this point I honestly don't notice. It almost always catches me off guard these days when someone looks through one of my cameras and comments.

18. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    John K, it's only rightside up in Australia if you use a camera made in the northern hemisphere. LOL
    Mike

19. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like Jason I don't remember the image being upside down as it has become so natural to me. And like Whitey and John, most of us former art students learned to turn our artwork upside down to check our composition.

What gets me is that after making the exposure I don't remember seeing it in color at all. My memory of the scene is in black and white.

gene

20. WarEaglemtn

WarEaglemtn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Upside down isn't a problem. It is the 'backwards' that gives me fits. Still can't compose facing the wrong way... I need to see the ground glass. :smile:

21. David Nebenzahl

David Nebenzahl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No, it's not natural

Sorry to be a party-pooper here, but I hear a whole lot of rationalization going on in this discussion trying to support the upside-down image on the ground glass as being "natural".

I don't buy it.

No way is it natural. While I'm sure that those who have viewed such upside-down images hundreds or thousands of times have learned to accommodate it, I don't think anyone can convince me that it's as natural as viewing the scene right-side-up.

I wish it weren't so, and that my ground glass showed the scene the way I see it with my eyes. But it is, so like everyone else I learn to live with it. But please, get real: don't let's insist that it's easy or "natural".

22. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Actually the human brain is very accommodating when it comes to vision and spatial direction, so an inverted image can be reconciled quite easily if it is presented enough times, or for a long enough duration. In other words it can be learned. Once learned, it is for all intents and purposes "natural" to one who has acquired the skill. Look up the experiments of Dalibor Vesely if you find this interesting.

23. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that the notion of "natural" is intended to simply mean that composing on the view camera gg has become so routine as to not be worthy of notice or comment, or complaint by those who do it regularly. That's how I think of it, at least. I even practice at home by looking at photographs in books, that I'm certain were made with LF cameras, upside down to emulate what the photographer saw. Of course it isn't "natural" in the literal sense, but it certainly has become familiar.

24. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Walking on two legs isn't natural either. But many of us do it.

25. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Seeing an "upside-down" image as natural is very natural! In fact, that is how our brain receives the image in the first place. The basic law of optics dictates that the image thrown upon our retina by the lens of our eye must be upside down and backwards...yet we perceive it as right-side up and non-reversed. So this is an exercise our brains are quite familiar with.

It is easy, at least for me -- I did not have to work hard at all to find the upside down and backwards image to be comfortable and natural way to view the scene in front of me on the GG.

Vaughn

26. Vanishing Point Ent.

Vanishing Point Ent. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Image is Upside Down & Backwards.

Finally, someone who go it right. I too, have no problem seeing this way.

What I still have problems with are camera, like Med-Format, that are right side up, but backwards.

This still drives me crazy.

Give me, both, ( Upside Down & Backwards ), or neither, ( normal viewing ).

Not Right side Up , but still Backwards.