Compressor for darkroom

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by RidingWaves, Feb 15, 2010.

1. RidingWaves

RidingWaves Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hey all, about to start in on a new darkroom, and getting tired of buying compressed air to squirt each neg, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of using a small air compressor in the the darkroom, along with some in-line air filters in case of oil coming thru the lines. Any direction or idea would be welcome and thanks.

2. Mike Té

Mike Té Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep your small air compressor in the garage (or elsewhere), fill up a small air tank from time to time and bring that into the darkroom with you. A light coiled hose and nozzle can complete the kit. Not noisy and more compact. Just make sure that the air from the compressor to the darkroom supply tank has passed through a water separater/dryer and a filter.

3. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi,
    Have a look at hobby stores, They have small compressors to run air brushes. I have one it's not very noisy. Try MIcromark.
    Hope this helps
    Pat

4. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  5. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would definitely run an oil-less air compressor and filter the air for water and contanimnets.

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I bought a small, inexpensive store brand compressor from Menard's (a big box home improvement center in the Midwest US.) I installed it in the basement just outside my darkroom, installed filters and a regulator, and connected it to a coiled hose with air gun inside the darkroom. I regulate down to 15 or 20 psi to give a gentle but effective cleaning. It is noisy even inside the darkroom when it kicks on to refill the tank, but that only lasts for 30 seconds or so.

7. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A source for an inexpensive inline filter to clean the air after an air/oil separator is a fuel filter for a late model Ford Crown Victoria.

8. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why? Not disagreeing, just wondering what makes this fuel filter better than another one?

9. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    High flow capacity, and aftermarket ones are not very expensive, besides, it's the one I use and the WIX brand one works fine at 60 psi. :smile:

I forgot to add, it has pipe stubs on both ends, some have a threaded fitting on one side.

10. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought mine at Calumet a couple of years ago. I works well, but I don't know if they still sell it.

11. totalamateur

totalamateur Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92403

Cheap tools are the best - the airbrush compressors are generally quiter than the tanked type - take up a lot less room too, you could probably mount it under a table some where.

Without the canned air, what do you evacuate the developer stock solution bottle with? (no butane please)

Also, if you are a DIY'er - the scroll compressor out of an old fridge or AC can be monkeyed into a compressor. just hook up the wires to a switch, and figure out an airhose fitting.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2010
  12. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife, who does Reverse Glass Painting restorations, and uses air for both cleaning and air brushing started out with my portable air gun compressor with a filter/regulator. Noisy would be an understatement.

Then I purchase a used tank-less airbrush compressor that is almost silent, with a very gentle airflow. I think is was only $25 on Craigslist. You could hook up a foot switch to it if needed.

13. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This looks almost exactly like the one Calumet has for sale at about half the price.

14. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I originally setup my darkroom with a remote compressor with a filtered and regulated outlet near my enlarger.

But a few years ago I bought a tank of Nitrogen and regulated it down to about 10 psi with a hose and "blow gun" adapter. Now I can blow away dust, and give a squirt into opened bottles of chemistry. In over a year, I have not yet refilled the Nitrogen tank.

15. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I heard that also, that the Nitrogen can be used. I have been thinking of getting set up this way for chemical storage anyway, so good idea.

16. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I try to keep my negs clean. I rarely used compressed air nor canned air. If I have to clean my negs, I have this ear syringe that I've been using for years and it works well. http://www.drugstore.com/products/p...am=rite_aid_ear_syringe_3_&CAWELAID=153337877

A wide camel's hair brush works great also. I like simple solutions. I'm also thinking of putting one of those $10 ionizers to remove static from my film.

17. Renato Tonelli

Renato Tonelli Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I searched Calumet and came up empty... I'm glad they're available; much better than canned air.