Concentric rings on RC print

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by rshaw, Nov 9, 2012.

1. rshaw

rshaw Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have been printing an Ilford FP4 4x5 negative on Ilford Multigrade IV glossy paper, starting with no filter, and going up to #3 1/2 to gain contrast. The prints made with the #3 1/2 filter show faint concentric rings in the sky area. Dropping back to #3 filter shows no sign of the rings. I even changed to a new #3 1/2 filter and still got the rings, so I don't think it is the filter itself. There is no evidence of the rings in the negative itself.
    The enlarger is an Omega D2 with the Omegalite cold light (circular florescent tube) head.

Any ideas?

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you using a glass carrier? If so, I would guess that you are seeing newton's rings that are very faint, and therefore only clearly visible when you increase contrast.

3. ROL

ROL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Using glass negative carriers by any chance? If so, they may be newton rings.

4. rshaw

rshaw Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry, no glass.

5. mfohl

mfohl Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you seen this on only one print? Look at the print carefully, close up and at an angle. Could it be that the print didn't dry properly; that a small pool of water dried slowly? You could try soaking the print and letting it dry again.

6. Prof_Pixel

Prof_Pixel Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Might they be water spots on the negative that don't show up until you boost the printing contrast?

7. rshaw

rshaw Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think my description of the phenomenon as "concentric rings" may have led some folks astray. Instead of rings, think of them as arcs appearing in the upper right and left corners of an 8 x 10 print. If they were to form circles, the diameter of the outside ones would probably be around 5 or 6 inches. They are so uniform and perfectly formed that one would tend to ascribe them to some sort of optical/mechanical reflection generated perhaps by the enlarger lens, a 135mm Schneider Componar operating at f11.
    In the past 18 months or so I have made probably 5 or 6 hundred b&w prints with this enlarger and light source, mostly from 6x6 Rolleiflex negs on Ilford RC paper, and never seen these rings. In the more recent past I have made perhaps a few dozen Ilford RC prints from 4x5 negs with no problems, or at least not this problem.
    Very puzzling.

8. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm guessing it's a very faint hint of lens flare on the negative itself that didn't show until you enlarged it.

9. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Shift the neg down in the holder so that the ringed area is now in t he center of the opening of the negative holder. If you do not get the rings, then it might be caused by the enlarger.

10. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is this one of the enlargers which places the filters on a surface, or does it go into a filter draw? If it is on a surface, a diffuser or condenser for example, then think of keeping the filter out of contact with that surface.

Alternatively, to change between formats there is probably an adjustment to be made with the head. Is that adjustment correct?

To check for oddness in the negative itself, simply turn it 180 degrees and if the marks stay in the same place relative to the enlarger then it's the enlarger system (unknown what precisely of course), but if it moves with the rotated neg, to stay the same place in the picture, then it is something connected with the neg.

11. rshaw

rshaw Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The filter is mounted in a carrier below the lens. I have two different carriers, both OE Omega pieces, one that swings away but is fixed in it's distance from the lens. The other does not swing, but can be adjusted up and down by means of alternate screw mount holes. None of these alternatives seems to have any effect on the rings.

The Omegalite cold light system does not provide for any head adjustment based on negative size. All you do is use the appropriate negative carrier, and the appropriate lens. The D2 condensor head requires changing condensors based on format, or the use of a variable condensor version of the head.

I have uploaded a scan of one of the problem prints to this site, for anyone interested in seeing exactly what I am dealing with. The rings are in the sky, to either side of the central peaks.
    http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/...hy/?action=view&current=flatironsrings005.jpg