Concerning the size of Mamiya TLRs

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Michel Hardy-Vallée, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's surprising how actually holding a camera in your hands shatters your perceptions of it from what you read in the online forums.

After a bad experience with a used Rolleiflex, I decided to go for a Mamiya TLR system, being less expensive in the long run and easier to get repaired in my area.

I received today a C330 with the 105mm f3.5 DS lens, and because I intend this to be my main MF camera, it will probably replace the Yashica D I've been using so far.

In the meantime, I took pictures of both side by side. The Yashica is lighter than a Rolleiflex, and a tad smaller. It's an excellent TLR, but the lens quality has its limits!

The Mamiya C3xx series has the reputation of being a "boat anchor." Well, it sure is heavier, but to be honest, it's not the monster that some comments make it to be. It's not a Gowlandflex 4x5 TLR!

So I hope these little snaps will give you an idea; the Mamiya is marginally bigger than the Rolleiflex/Yashica TLR, although it is heavier. But it's not a brute like a RZ, nor is so heavy that handholding it is unwieldy. It's perfectly capable as a handheld camera.

Attached Files:

2. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It is remarkable how small and light a 3 lens kit is.....especially when you consider the tiny tripod you can get away with.

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The left hand trigger grip makes it a really good camera for me for fast action (like weddings). I am, however, very left handed!

Matt

4. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Funny you should make this comparison. For a while I had my wife's Yashica D, my dad's erstwhile Rollieflex, and my C220 on a shelf together side by side. At the moment the Yashica D, and the Rollie still sit there, but ever since we bought a prism finder for the Mamiya, I use that camera a lot, and when it sits, it sits in a bag with 3 lenses, several rolls of film, and a spot meter all ready to go out the door with me. Of the three camera systems I use (P67, Shen Hao, and C220) it's the lightest, sits happily on a Bogen 3001 'pod with a small Bogen ball head, and occupies the smallest bag of all. And to think I was going to sell it a while ago... Yikes!!

5. Blighty

Blighty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, this is how I use my C330. The trigger grip makes it far easier to use. Blights

6. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love mine. I think it is a beautifully designed camera.

7. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Me too,

I've been using Mamiya TLRs for longer than I care to remember, and like Matt am also left handed, I agree with him entirely, the left hand L grip improves the handling no end, especially since the camera with the bellows extended is front heavy, even more so with a telephoto lens pair attached, it enables you to wind on and focus with your right hand, and fire the shutter with your left index finger, while resting the camera on your right palm, you can hold it very steady, the prism is very handy too, if you want to develop muscles like a Russian shot putter !! .

8. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I picked up a C330 recently, which came with a pistol grip. I've run a couple of rolls through it, and I like the camera generally. However, with just the WLF, I find the pistol grip awkward to hold (ends up being too low to hold comfortably) - is this just me or am I doing something wrong?

I'm now tempted to get a prism finder for it, and now that you mention it, possibly the L grip as well, if it improves the experience that much (although I'm right-handed).

9. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recently acquired a C22. Its a monster around the neck, but its become my walk-about camera. Combined with the new T-Max 400, I'm easily getting 16" prints with good resolution & no grain.

10. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Pistol Grip with a C330 and WLF? You must have strong wrists! An 'L' grip for the left hand, or just hold the camera with your left hand supporting the left side and base. Neckstraps are good for steadying and controlling the camera. I often put it on a monopod.

11. Ian Tindale

Ian Tindale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Don't remind me of that. I accidentaly sold my 55mm lens, kept a 135 that I never use and I have TWO 180 "Super". :mad:

I also own a Bronica GS-1 equipment, nice gear, but in the end I always prefer my 330f.

13. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    CMO, is that a covert call to sell me your 180 Super? :wink:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That was not my plan, but if you like... I would also trade it for a 55mm lens to turn back the clock... :smile:

BTW, I live in Germany, shipping and customs might be an obstacle.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2008
  16. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I own a C330 TLR and though it may be heavier and bigger than other TLR's out there, I find it to be be a perfecdtly usable hand held tool. I rarely put the camera on a tri-pod and just old the camera with my left hand and use my right to focus and wind the film.

17. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Until they were stolen I had a pair of Mamiya's a C33 and a C3 with 80mm & 55mm lenses. The slightly heavier body compared to the Rollei's and Yashica's etc really make a huge difference when shooting hand held. The extra mass makes it easier to get good sharp results at low shutter speeds.

Ian

18. Frank Szabo

Frank Szabo Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I'f you really want exercise, shoot a wedding with a RB using the grip with a flash mounted.

I did that one time - did I tell you how much I like my Hasselblad?

19. grahamp

grahamp Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The camera size is partly a function of the interchangable lenses. The internal baffle dictates the body depth, just as the mirror does on SLRs. Add in the need for a rigid lens panel, with all the metal frame and gearing, and the scale of the camera makes sense.

20. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hm, Germany shipping, this might be expensive! I may pass this time...

21. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Is that exercise or masochism?

The problem with the RB/RZ is this: if you look into the waist level finder you need a counterbalance on your back, otherwise you might topple over. :D

22. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I LOVE my C33. Awesome system. I never understood complaints about weight anyhow. Come on. Are we a bunch of sissys? :wink:

23. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hold my handbag

Hold my handbag, and I'll tell you !!, seriously, I like heavy cameras I find them easier to hold still, I think It's something to do with inertia. I too have a C33, and find It's quite a lot heavier then my C330F, and Its built like a WW11 Russian tank, it was old when I got it about twenty years ago and will probably outlast me, but it still takes good pictures, I wish I did.

24. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Y'all can scream and moan about the mamiya with a grip.... I shot a fair amount with a 65mm lens and a hand grip. Nice setup, just plant yourself firmly and shoot. I do prefer an "el" grip with a flash mount on top but the grip with the camera on top, neck strap keeping things stable work well.

tim in san jose

25. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I made a rig out of bath chain, I welded a length of it to a 1/4" B.S.W. ever ready case screw, so I can screw the chain into the camera tripod bush and stand on the chain, so I can hold it and gently pull on the chain, it's like a portable tripod that goes in my pocket.

26. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Attached Files: