condensor question

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by naaldvoerder, Apr 17, 2010.

1. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What, if any, are the detrimental effects of using a 6x6 condesor set with a 50 mm enlargerlens????

Thanks

Jaap Jan

2. el wacho

el wacho Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    if you are working with a 35mm neg (to match the enlarger lens ) there should be no problem. if anything you should get more even lighting.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2010
  3. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks el wacho,

But I forgot to mention that I would be printing a 35mm negative. So the conbination of 35mm negative, 50mm lens, condensors for 6x6, would that work??

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 6x6 condenser would spread the light a little more than the 35 neg would really need. It won't matter for the lens, and as el wacho says, at worst you'll get more even lighting, at the expense of slightly less light.

5. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. You'll be fine.

6. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see where it will be a problem. At worst, your printing times will be a little longer. Use that to your advantage. Makes dodging and burning easier. Makes timing more accurate.

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Omega 4x5 Pro Lab enlarger uses the same condesor placement for 50mm through 80mm lenses. There isn't any change until I switch to 90mm. My C-700's use the same placement up to 90mm lens.

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there are high end enlargers out there where the condensors are optimized to particular lenses. I expect, however, that this is only relevant with respect to large enlargements.

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, this is a problem. The condensers are focused for a certain lens distance. If the lens isn't where the condensers expect it to be then the result will be uneven illumination. So, you will be Ok only for very small enlargements or a little bigger than 1:1.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2010
  10. Lukas_87

Lukas_87 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the condersers are "focused" by moving the enlarger lamp up/down. you should move your bulb to such height above the condenser that the image of the bulb filaments will be projected exactly to the place where your enlarging lens aperture is. so you have to move your bulb to different place every time you change the magnification (thus move the lens). bigger magnification -> bulb away from condenser.
    but it is critical only using projector bulb/pin-point light source, such as a single LED (as I'm currently using in focomat 1c) - using opal bulb makes things a lot more simple (if your opal bulb is really opal and is bigger than the negative area).

inserting a frosted filter above condenser helps a lot anyway.

11. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it matters with true condenser enlargers, using a point source. But these are very rare. What most of us call condenser enlargers are in reality condenser/ diffuser. They have ground glass in them, a large opal bulb and no bulb adjustment - in which case I think it doesn't matter much.

I have both 6 X 6 and 35 mm enlargers from the same company, so they share a common lens mount. I often use the 35mm lens (50mm focal length) for 35 mm negs on the 6 X 6 enlarger because it is easy to swap lenses than swap enlargers (my bench isn't big enough for both). I reckon if anything the 6 X 6 is slightly superior, as it has better condensers (two opposing lenses instead of one)

12. haris

haris Guest

Meopta Opemus 5 enlarger has non removable condensers for all negative sizes/lenses used, and it is for up to 6x6 negatives (80mm lenses). I don't remove condensers even when use colour head (which give diffused light).