Conference on Black and White

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by steve simmons, Aug 10, 2005.

1. steve simmons

steve simmons Inactive

Ilford USA is putting together a conference on the future of black and white film to be held March 3-5 in Pasadena, CA.

View Camera is a sponsor and I will post more details as they become available.

steve simmons

2. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good! Something like this is needed. Wish I go go.

3. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    On the future of B&W film, or on the future of B&W Photography? Not sure how much overlap there really is (really -- almost no one has shot B&W movies on B&W film for years, for example)

4. jovo

jovo Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since my work makes attending the conference impossible, I hope you'll publish an account of the outcomes in VC.

BTW...thanks for a very enjoyable conference in Springfield.

5. gnashings

gnashings Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    steve simmons... you're not the sports journalist steve simmons? Sorry, I live near Toronto and read way too much about hockey...:smile:

Too bad I cant afford the trip - this sounds like a wonderful idea. Hopeit gets a great turn out. It will surely genereate a lot of discussion on these pages.

6. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll have start saving my pennies for this trip. But what about color?

7. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wasn't "Schindler's List" and/ or ... the one with the Polish-Jewish piano player ..
    I think it was called "The Pianist" both done on black and white film? I could be 'way wrong ... but wasn't "Saving Private Ryan" on B&W as well ..?

8. jamnut

jamnut Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In the July August VC, there are some pics of the 2005 VC Conference and trade show. Reps from Kodak, Ilford, Fuji and Polaroid were there to discuss LF film. They all voiced the same opinion, that they want to continue to make LF film, but that "we have to support these products to keep them alive." I read this as "we will make sheet film if you will pay $50 a sheet for it. Otherwise..."
    Am I being too cynical, or will it come to that? I don't shoot LF, (someday, I hope), but the demise of LF would just be a tragedy.

9. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    They should come to the APUG conference next year. How about a little with this Steve.

10. steve simmons

steve simmons Inactive

<They should come to the APUG conference next year. How about a little with this Steve.>

??????????

What is the question?

steve simmons

11. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well... I do not purport to have the ability to read minds, but I think it's fairly easy to see that Wayne was wondering if maybe you could persuade the fine folks at Ilford to attend the first Annual APUG Conference in Toronto. :wink: It's a good idea! I think APUG represents a large group of analog photo supporters worldwide. It seems like a natural connection to me! :D

12. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nope, standard color stocks. And digitally remastered, just like "The Man Who Wasn't There"

The opening battle of "Saving Private Ryan" was shot on old cameras with period lenses, and their coatings were stripped off to give a more authentic appearance.

14. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "And digitally remastered, just like "The Man Who Wasn't There"

Er, I think that "The Man Who Wasn't There" was all film - the interpos (or an interneg?) was on sound stock to correct for the gamma mismatch between the colour neg and the B&W print as I recall. I'll check my back issues of the AC and confirm.

"Saving Private Ryan" was in colour.

Best,
    Helen

15. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just FYI, the International Congress of Imaging Science is being held in Rochester NY from May 7 - 12th 2006.

This includes digital and conventional and will have representation there from all photographic companies world wide. By all, I mean ALL.

If you are in Toronto, just take the ferry across lake Ontario to Rochester to attend. Or if you want to go to Toronto for the APUG conference, take the ferry from Rochester.

PE

16. PhotoManiac3000

PhotoManiac3000 Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The future of black & white photography? Is there a rep from the USA I can call regarding this?

17. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  18. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  19. steve simmons

steve simmons Inactive

I will post more details in the next few days re this conference. There will also be info in the Sept/Oct issue of View Camera magazine and on our web site

steve simmons

20. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    B&W Films

Just this weekend, I re-watched "Schindler's List" shot on a filmstock you say no one has shot for years. The tones of this film are fantastic, and the detail, leads me to believe it was shot with Zeiss lenses.

Also, just recently on satellite I saw "Ed Wood", different look altogether tonality-wise (can't stand Tim Burton), but again, another modern film shot purposefully in B&W.

Even "A Hard Day's Night" is listed as one of the greatest films ever made both artistically, & historically. You can include this one too, (if you think of 1964 as "for years").

Rolleijoe

21. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As previously mentioned, shot on COLOR FILM. Bleach bypassed on printing too, iirc

22. ajuk

ajuk Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    :surprised: really you mean what they use digital and Desaturate or no one has made a B&W movie?

I think if Steven Spielburg was making Schindler's List now he would be shooting it on film.

23. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that the point is about whether a B&W movie would be shot on B&W film or colour film. Recent movies have shown that a good-looking B&W film can be made from a colour camera neg, which may then be printed on colour print stock. There is a much wider range of colour motion picture film available than B&W, especially after Ilford completely pulled out of motion picture film and abandoned the B&W market to Eastman Kodak. EK still make two B&W MP neg films, bless 'em.

Best,
    Helen