Confirmed: Ilford Postcard Paper

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by SteveH, Feb 9, 2006.

1. SteveH

SteveH Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    All,
    I stopped in at my my local photographic purveyor today to inquire if he has heard anything as to the availability of the Ilford Postcard Paper. He wasn't even aware that it was making a comeback, so he made a phone call to the distributer. The individual there told him that it will be shipped from the UK within the next two weeks, and should be available for purchase sometime in the first week of March. It will be available in 100 count boxes, in either gloss or pearl.
    Hopefully just in time to get started for the post-card exchange...

Regards,

2. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would appear that sending postcards to Simon at Ilford, worked?

We sometimes make a big difference, with small steps!

Mick.

3. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    WOHA!!! I just can't believe it!!! When I wrote them, it seemed that the reissue of the postcard type was the last thing they had in mind!!!

You made my day! :smile: Welcome back, postcard!

4. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Fantastic news! If anyone sees this anywhere, please let us know. I am waiting for it myself and would be happy to buy 2 boxes straight away.

- Randy

5. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

I did tell you all it was coming back....and its shipping next week, and it is down to everyone at APUG and our distributors support ( the USA bought big ! )

And yes your postcards to me did help...and I am going to run a postcard competion
    for APUG members, I just need to meet up with Sean in Toronto to agree everything.

Simon ILFORDPhoto / HARMAN technology Limited :

6. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Simon, I may be repetitive but this "direct line" with customers is just fantastic.

Ilford's always been my family's choosen brand, and now that things were supposed to get worse day by day are instead getting better!

They will get PERFECT as soon as 1- or 2-litres Ilfochrome kits will be produced and available again in Italy (er... would you mind to take a note? :D)

7. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Excellent news - but how many people did as I did and stocked up with enough Ilford postcard paper to last a lifetime when it seemed as if it would never be seen again? I even found two full 100 sheet boxes mis-described on a well-known internet auction site and paid little more than the cost of the postage for them.
    Simon - if Ilford run short of stock, give me a shout in Devon ;-)

Best wishes to all,
    Steve

8. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Postcard competition? OH BOY OH BOY, I feel a postcard core dump coming on. I seem to have just a bit of extra card stock to work from.

9. Magpie

Magpie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    As someone coming in late, can someone tell me the dimensions of the postcard paper?
    Thanks
    Brendan

10. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Postcard sized....

Sorry, I really must learn to resist...:wink: Assuming it is the same size as previously, 10x15cm.

Cheers, Bob.

11. Magpie

Magpie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But who's Postcard size?

I collected postcards at one point and there was a large variation between countries and printers.

Will have to start bugging my local dealer to get it in.

Regards

Brendan

12. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Like I said: "Assuming it is the same size as previously, 10x15cm." You will however receive postcards in various sizes as you noted... Some will be in envelopes so not, technically, postcards, but sending some Alt-proc cards unprotected through the post would just be asking for trouble...

One problem might be getting it down-under in time for the end of March (assuming you want to join the current Postcard exchange) in which case you can just use normal RC paper - a large label on the back makes it stiffer and allows writing the address etc.

Cheers, Bob.

13. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is there any word on which dealers will be stocking this in the UK?

Silverprint's site doesn't seem to be listing it yet... (Calumet's doesn't show half their darkroom products and I simply didn't bother looking on Jessops...! :rolleyes: )

Failing that - Simon, bring a Transit-full of stuff and a cash register up to the Green Dragon in April. I guarantee it'll be lighter on the return trip! :D

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. SteveH

SteveH Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    All,
    If anyone has issues getting this paper in, I would be more than happy to purchase it when it comes in, and airmail it to your location. I am not sure what the price per box is going to be yet, but the box *should* fit inside the large flat-rate globial priority mailer throught he US postal service - which costs $9.50USD, and will arrive at most locations in 4-6 days. I will not charge any extra for this, just whatever the cost per box is, and actual shipping costs.

Regards,

16. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is cool news. Many different products get talked about here on APUG. Of them (Azo, tech-pan, postcard paper, APX100 in 120 size, etc), the one on the top of my list to try is the postcard paper.

Matt

17. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is this stuff graded or VC? FB or RC? I have a hard time visualising RC postcard paper, be hard to write on, eh? And what emulsion are we getting on it? I just got into some old Kodabromide postcard paper today for the first time and had a blast with it so I really like having a replacement when I burn through this old stuff.

18. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The stuff I've got is MGIV RC Portfolio quality. Slightly stiffer than MGIV RC.

19. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I would assume something has been done to the back of the RC paper to make it receptive to ordinary pen and pencil? Can't wait to find some and see how it looks.

20. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It does tale 'biro' but there's two problems... you need to let it dry or it will smudge, but more importantly, the sharp point will leave indentations that you can see from the front. A bit ugly. The thinest soft tipped 'permanent marker' (like a Sharpie) you can get seems to be the easiest to deal with.

21. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use a thick biro/ball-point with the card face down on a hard surface (normally a CD case as I can reach one from where I normally sit without all the effort of standing up!)

Steve

22. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do the same, place the card on a hard surface.

Still waiting for the paper to appear anywhere in Britain though...

23. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any idea if it's coming to the Netherlands also? I'll go and bother my local photo supplies store... (Or would an internet reseller be a better bet?)

24. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I always wanted to try the Ilford postcard paper. Perhaps my parents will hear from me more often, now!

25. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Count one here!

But now, I'll start using it again as my standard paper for small snapshots and I'll run out of stock in a breeze! I'm planning to use it for proofs as well instead of normal VC multigrade, just to support the product!

26. simulatordan

simulatordan Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello Andy K,

I have been trying to track down Ilford Postcard Paper for the last couple of months. I spoke to Paul at the Imaging Warehouse - www.navadarkroom.com some time ago; they are stocking the Postcard paper but only in pearl at the moment: the price is £19.39 for 100 sheets. However it is not on the website currently because of pressure getting ready for the Focus show.
    If you phone 01926 - 403090, select option 1 ( presales advice/ordering ) you can order over the phone. Standard postage is £4.95 so why not order some Ilford warmtone or cooltone developer at the same time at £ 7.95 for 1 Ltr. These prices include a 10% discount so can't be bad.
    Hope this is useful. Cheers Daniel