Conley Safety Shutter Questions

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Jersey Vic, Apr 25, 2013.

1. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    I found a Conley triple(8"14"18") lens on a 5x7 but enjoy using it on my 8x10 Korona View. Does anyone have any info on the Conley (Wollensak) safety shutter (do I change speeds b4 or after cocking shutter?) & what sort of cable release can I use with this ? Thanks! Victor

Attached Files:

2. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Use an air bulb and tube. The air piston inside often get stuck on these, or something gets bent and the piston isn't able to push hard enough. It is fairly easy to take it apart to clean the piston/tube.

I have had a shutter that looks like it. I think it was called Autex.

Jon

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  3. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Thanks Jon. Will do. Do I change speeds before or after cocking the shutter?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2013
  4. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Always always always set the speed before you @#!*% these shutters. On pneumatic shutters such as this one, Compounds, etc wait 15 or 20 seconds after cocking before tripping the shutter.

And if you do take it apart, don't oil the pistons.

5. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi, I would change the speeds before cocking. That is the general rule for shutters to be on the safe side.

I have not had one in several years, so don't remember about this particular shutter.

If you do take it apart, there is a little notched pin that the speed cam has to align with when you put it back together.

Jon