Connecting Ilford darkroom safelights to Ilford Multirgrade 500 power suply (500s)

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by apasz, Jul 17, 2014.

1. apasz

apasz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would like to connect my Ilford darkroom safelights - SL1 or DL10 (have both) to Ilford Multirgrade 500 power suply (500s). My safelights have a standard 220V plug (+/-) but the power suply have a different plug, pictured below. I googled for it but found nothing. Thanks for your help.

safelight.jpg

2. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

this looks like British standard power plug. For laptops you have often those adapters for different countries.

Regards,

3. apasz

apasz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you Darko, in the beggining I was thinking the same but I checked my iron, it's from the UK, it's quite similar but a little different:

safelight_2.jpg

4. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I think you will find that that connector (a Bulgin PX0770) is obsolete and unobtainable. Not all is lost however.

If you look at a standard I.E.C. power lead as used on computers, I think you'll find the pin spacing is the same - If it is, cut the shroud away from the pins on a male connector. Alternatively, if you are mechanically/electrically inclined, replace the socket with a modern I.E.C. fitting.

5. apasz

apasz Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks so much, Paul!

6. David Allen

David Allen Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Try contacting Second Hand Darkroom in the UK.

www.secondhanddarkroom.co.uk | +44 (0)1993 878323

A friend of mine in the UK got a connector for his safelight from them a few months ago. I think he had to cut one end a bit to reveal the pins but, as far as I am aware, it works.

Bests,

David
    www.dsallen.de