Considering a Hasselblad, but what about lenses

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Mark Fisher, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Mark Fisher

Mark Fisher Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I decided I am going to spend the big bucks and buy one of David Odesses cameras. I almost bit on a Mamiya 7, but I decided to stay away from a range finder. I just sold some Leica equipment and it burning a hole in my pocket!
    I'd wondering your thoughts about a 2 lens set (60-120mm) vs. a 3 lens set (50-80-150). I'll be carrying these around a lot so weight is important.....of course how much will I lose. Most of my work is at or near the normal lens....sometimes slightly wide. Anyone out there who uses the 2 lens approach? Do you sometimes wish from a little more or less reach?

2. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you mentioned weight, I think the 60 & 120 would work well. The one thing I will say about Hasselblads is that (for me anyway) it is damn near impossible to not get all the lenses! I have lenses from 40mm to 250mm. I think the 40mm is the one I use the most, the 150mm second. The one I don't have is a 120, so I cannot give a personal opinion on that one. The 60mm lens is an odd duck for me, not really wide enough, but I usually go too wide if going wide at all? (Did that make any sense?) Actually, either grouping would be great. I often try to pick out two lenses when traveling, though no matter what I bring I wish I had something else. Heck, this post was probably no help at all....

3. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The 50-80-150 is the "classic" Hasselblad set-up and one which I have.

But lately, I've been working on a project, packing just the 50 for street and landscape, and the 150 for portraits and everything is fine. This would be a 28 and 90 on your Leica.

As I am sure David O will tell you, get CF or newer lenses as the parts for the older C lenses are getting hard to find.

4. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I carried a 503cxi, 50/80/150/tubes/2 or 3 backs/bogen 3221 in a Lowepro backpack at the Grand Canyon last summer. I'm in pretty good shape. Gym 3 days a week, ride 100 miles on my bike on weekends, 2 or 3 50-60 mile rides during the week.
    Boy! That backpack was pretty freaking heavy!! Would I do it again at Grand Canyon....heck no! Perhaps, next time, 1 4x5 (wood), 1 lens, 1 tripod, changing bag, film holders and film.

5. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I have this same set with the Rolleiflex SL66. It's a great choice. You can do a lot with three lenses.

6. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    50 - 100 two lens set
    50 - 120 two lens set
    50 - 80 - 150 three lens set -- good
    50 - 80 - 180 three lens set -- better
    50 - 80 - 250 three lens set <======= I recommend this choice
    50 - 80 - 150 - 250 four lens set <==== I have this choice and I am very happy with it!

Steve

7. TimVance

TimVance Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All you need is the 80. Keep it simple.

8. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a similar set up for my RB67 - 50, 90, 180 which I also think is a good combination.

I sometimes decide to take just one lens out though. Usually the 50 or the 180.

Steve.

9. Antje

Antje Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What Steve said. :smile: I didn't suffer from any GAS (regarding the Blad) after acquiring the 250 - those four are really all I need. Now a SWC, that would be something... :wink:

Antje

10. Struan Gray

Struan Gray Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 50-80-150-250, but when I'm travelling I wish I had a 60 and a 110.

And a SWC.

In short, there is no hope.

11. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have 50, 80, 150 and 250. The old, chrome C 150 is my favorite and the one I use whenever possible. I like the 50 for wide angle effects. Seldom use the 80 but when I need it, I need it. I'm still not sure if I like the 250. It just seems a slight bit softer than my 150.

12. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    50-80-120-150 here.

Buy the 80 first and see how you go...

13. biloko

biloko Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Six year now I made the same choice. I'd like testing somewhat longer lens (120 or 150) with shorter focusing distance but it should in that case just replace the 80.
    Got the same echo from other people, having 2 or 3 lenses, but just using always the same with the blad.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You don't say what subjects you hunt.
    I have 40-80-120-180 and often will only carry two lenses when I go out of the studio.
    Which ones I will pick will depend on the circumstances. When I am not aware of
    what my subjects or situations will be, I will carry the 80 and the 180, especially
    if I am going for street portraiture. If I am going after landscapes, 80 and 40 for effect.
    The 120 I keep for close ups and some portraits. I might carry it instead of the 180
    when I want a lower weight on my bag.
    I use the 80 the most.
    My suggestion would be to get one lens, use it a lot and then decide on another one.

16. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the four lens set as Steve has. Out here in the open spaces of Kansas if I went to a three lens setup I'd drop the 80mm. It's my least used lens by a hugh margin.

Mike

17. Fintan

Fintan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's gas, I've often read about people using their 80mm least. Its my most used one, followed by my 50mm. Luckily the 80mm is also the cheapest :smile:

18. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have what for me is just about right.

Hasselblad SWC (38mm)
    80mm and 150mm w/my 501CM.

The 80mm and the SWC get used the most.

19. coriana6jp

coriana6jp Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    As somebody on here once said, Hassys are dangerous for your wallet. Started with a 501cm & the 80mm. Ended up with a 40-50-80-150-250 combination and a second body. When I am not shooting LF, I usually hike with the 50-80-150 combination. But if I am doing urban stuff, it usually is the 40-80 plus one other.

Regardless of what you get, you will be happy. And your wallet will be alot lighter.

Good Luck!

Gary

20. Willie Jan

Willie Jan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I can only speak for myself:

I bought a hassy last year. I mainly shoot landscape/details and fineart.

I use the 60, 120 macro and 250.
    The macro is nice for field detail work, the 250 is nice for distance shots of details and the 60 for wide shots. I do not like wide angle lenses with my sort of photography because most of the time it becomes to crowdly on the image with unwanted information. (If I want wide angle I use my 4x5...)

21. colrehogan

colrehogan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I only shoot with a 60. I sold my 50 because it was just too wide for me. I know 10 mm doesn't seem like much, but I like the 60 and it's all I need for this format. Besides, I don't need to cave in to GAS in another format. :smile:

22. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the 80 and never really found myself looking for one more. If I could get the 150 as well, for portraits and figure work, I would be set. I don't use wide angle, but that's just more my inability to use it well than not wanting one.
    I decided a long time ago to stop worrying so much about equipment. That was years ago. I still have too much stuff... I'm working my way to simplicity.

All of the lenses you mention are excellent. The only lens I've ever heard anyone speak poorly of is the 60mm. I think the grief was corner sharpness. Don't hold me to it.
    Pretty comfortable dilemma you're stuck with... I'd get the 80 and the 150 and let the rest work itself out. I have seen some stunning work done with the wide angle lenses, though. The 50mm seems to be really nice and the 40mm above the rest.

Good luck with your choice, especially now since I made it even more confusing... :smile:

- Thomas

23. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, as others, I do have the classic 50/80/150 CF set and I think I don´t need nothing else.
    Maybe one day, I will sell the 80 and get the 100 I think.

Cheers

André

24. keeds

keeds Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I too have the 50/80/150. The 150 gets used least of all by a long way. Might all be a mute point as I'll probably have to sell it all to fund my 7x17 desires... :-(

25. gary mulder

gary mulder Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Before going to 4 X 5 for landscape I used to take a 50 and 120 with me. Later I swapped the 50 for a 40 and added a 2 X converter

26. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am in the same place but the price of the SWCs go up faster than I can save the money! :surprised:

Steve