Consolidating to Leica? or keep the Nikon?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by snaggs, Mar 13, 2010.

1. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've paid for a M9 and have been waiting around like everyone else. I bought a 2nd hand 35 cron asph and borrowed a M8.2 to play with. Wow, this is the handling that I wanted in a digital. Simple mechanical like my FM3a.

Now the question is, I have a bunch of Nikon stuff, and if I ebayed the lot, I could buy the Hermes MP + 35 cron thats on ebay atm.

28mm AI-S PC-Nikkor (NIB, never got round to using it!)
    35mm AI-S f/1.4
    85mm AI-S f/1.4
    Nikon F6
    Nikon FM3a & the rare tiny SB-30
    Nikon AI-P 45mm

Its hard to sell things you like, but I would have a film body to accompany my M9 and all one system.

Do you think it would be a dumb move?

Daniel.

2. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are no dumb moves, only decisions that you may later regret. :smile:

I would sell the PC lens that you never use and keep the rest of the Nikon gear. There are some things that a 35mm SLR is better at or nicer to use. If you get a 35mm RF, while that would also nice to have, just kind of repeats what you have in the M9.

With the Nikon SLR, you could scan the negatives if you want the best quality. Why would you do that with a RF. Probably are reasons, just not as many.

Of course, like others, I am better at buying and keeping rather than the revolving door camera owners.

So, its your chance to regret what ever you do.

If you want, send me the F6 and I will take it out and make sure it gets exercised. :D

3. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I consolidated most of my setup to Leica M, but I still keep my Canon 1V and a handful of lenses. As fotch said, it's useful to keep an SLR around. So I have a 28, a 50, and a 200 for my SLR. I wouldn't get that much money for the first two, and the 200 is something I can't duplicate with a rangefinder. Couple that with the fact that the SLR has a motor drive and AF, and it make sense to me to keep it.

Sell the lenses you don't use but keep one or two and the F6. Buy an M6 and be happy.

4. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I would unload the F6 and the 28mm AI-S PC-Nikkor and keep the FM3A and the remaining lenses and look for an M6.

5. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Keep a couple film bodies and lenses. I "assure" you that you will want them in the future.

Kiron Kid

6. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hermes MP and M9? Yes, please sell all that useful Nikon equipment so someone can put it to real actual use. Exactly what are you looking for in photography?

7. Shaggysk8

Shaggysk8 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I would say its all about the end results I have a Leica and a Bronica both do different things for me, both give me results I need.

So I would look at what you shoot, what you want it to look like and keep the equipment that allows you to achieve this.

Paul

8. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for selling the PC lens and the F6 but keeping the rest.

Couldn't imagine having only rangefinders, as there are many things an SLR really will do better (close-ups, telephotos - I find a 90mm on a RF already near the limit - exact framing, getting close with ultra-wides and, and..).

Also, why a Hermes with a second 35mm? Pick up a "cheap" M6 and a lens with a FL you don't already have.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It seems to me that the O.P. is more into status symbols than photography.

10. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Daniel - hard to make a comment because obviously it largely depends on your style of photography. I think a film BU to the M9 does make a lot of sense, and like others here, would imagine something like an M6 TTL would actually be better as that that BU rather than an MP. I think the FM3a is one of the best cameras EVER but then I wonder if it's just duplication in many ways to the RFers... perhaps keep the F6 and buy something like an AF 70-210? Sell the rest (gulp!) Then you'd really have everything covered? Just a thought.

11. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Hermes MP on ebay is used, and about half the new cost, otherwise I wouldn't consider it. I does look pretty though!

The reason I went with a M9, is its the only camera system which is committed to remaining manual and compact. I've been waiting years for the FM3D and it aint ever coming!

To answer other posters questions, the reason I'm consolidating is that I only want to keep things I use. After trying all different types of photography, I find that there wasn't much I can't do with my FM3a and 35mm lens.

Not really interested in sports, macro or landscapes anymore. I can always pull out my view camera if I want to do a serious landscape.

Theres a good chance I'll never take the 35 cron off the M9. However, I have heaps of Astia in the fridge, and some bulk rolls of HP5.. hence the MP idea.

I guess I could just keep the FM3a with the 85mm f/1.4 on.

PS. Borrowed a M8.2 today.. makes nice pix without having to spend anytime in photoshop (which I detest!)

[​IMG]

12. gamincurieux

gamincurieux Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yet another smartarse comment from clayne.

Now snaggs, back to you........ I can't afford to buy an M9 at the moment unfortunately (that's no reference to the fact that you can, good luck to you I say!), so I just bought myself a Nikon D700. However, I don't look at it as a '2nd best' buy at all, no no, because I use the F4 (with small battery pack) for film and the D700 is for me the closest to it in handling & size etc etc, plus the fact that it has a full-size sensor. Kind of like how I imagine the transition from the using the M6 to the M9 would be. I also use an M6, with 28mm & 35mm lenses, plus I got an adapter to use my Nikon 20mm lens on it if need be.

So, I plan on using the D700 for color, and Leica for black & white film (I might convert a color file to B&W, but I'll never actually set out to shoot B&W in digital, NEVER!). Something like that anyway :wink: I think my digital Nikon - film Leica mix work out nicely. It's kind of making the most of what I got.

And, like you, this latest purchase means that I will have to do some consolidating of my gear. I think eventually I'll be offloading any film Nikon gear. I'll have to sell some stuff that I really don't want to sell. I don't want to sell anything. I don't want to sell my pristine F3HP, nor my 'short-wheel base' F4's. But I'm not using them, and I'm not about to start collecting, so I will sell some things. It will go a long way to help pay off the D700, and should get me a couple other useful things I've got my eye on (like a 21mm lens for the Leica so I don't have to use the 20mm Nikon on the M6).

I'll get rid of Nikon gear before Leica any day.

It's up to you which Leica film body you get yourself, that's your business, but if offloading your Nikon gear gets you the ultimate digital/film Leica kit of your dreams, then sell sell sell the Nikon stuff :wink:

13. gamincurieux

gamincurieux Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    OK, I might keep an F4..... but the other F4 and the F3 and some other bits & pieces can go :wink:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Keep the nikon. I enjoy more shooting with nikon F3 and 50mm nikkors than with leica M6 and summicron 50. I am probably in minority thou ... :smile:

16. TheSohnly

TheSohnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    i'd use some of those lenses, no problem!

I have one lens and two camera bodies.

17. mhcfires

mhcfires Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For a Leica film body, find an M2. You say you like manual, the M2 needs no battery, I personally feel that it is one of the best. An M4 is easier loading, you might prefer it. It will ultimately be your decision. Do what you feel is best for your style of shooting. The Hermes is fancy, overpriced, even at half price on fleabay. You can get an M4 or M2 in great shape and a few lenses for the price of that Hermes.

Just my 2ยข. :smile:

18. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And just what's wrong with smartarse comments?

19. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    hahaha, someone who understands :smile: the mind makes decisions which the heart starts to undermine and visa versa!

20. gamincurieux

gamincurieux Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Clayne's post was sneeringly typical in tone. It is plain rude to out-rightly question someone's purpose in photography like that, to write someone off, just because he's got himself an M9 and wants to get another model that will probably cost just as much. The man might be a dentist or anaesthetist, but he also might be a factory worker who's saved. Either way, how dare anyone all of a sudden question the man's photography like that! Is that all you wanted to ask me? Have you something to add to the thread?

21. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At the risk of sounding arrogant, both Eddy and myself are capable of offering photography that shows we're beyond the camera used. The entire point is that the combined cost of those cameras (MP+M9) could buy a lot of film for someone who wants to imprint something useful on it.

22. gamincurieux

gamincurieux Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just let the man do his thing Dude!

23. film_photog

film_photog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If money is not a problem then sell what you don't use and get what you want. Bare in mind once you sell what you have it will be hard to find the quality products that you get rid of. You know what condition the cameras and lenses you currently have and you probably cannot find items in as good condition as current items. Good luck with your choice.
    I currently have Nikon F100w/85mm1.8, Canon EOS 1N-HS, Mamiya645E, Pentax K1000, and a bunch of lenses for each. I won't part with any of them and I use all my film stuff. Digital is all Canon 20D 40D, 5D. Looking for a rangefinder myself!!LOL (Like I need another camera!!!)

Fred

24. snaggs

snaggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Had a look at some of the photo's on your site, lovely.

And of course you are right about not needing expensive camera's, one of my best photo's was taken with a demo plastic F65 I bought on clearance.

However, now that I have a choice;

I like to buy things which are made by people
    I like old world construction
    I'm against the destruction of first the english and now european and american manufacturing.

Wherever I have an option to buy a locally made shirt etc, I will boycott made in China.

Leica is the embodiment of historic manufacturing values, Nikon used to as well, before they put into retirement their AIS manufacturing team.

The reason I'm now buying Leica, is Nikon will never transition MF and old world build quality into digital. It won't be sitting in the box.

Daniel.

25. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I were you, I would keep the FM3a and either the 35 or 45mm lens just in case. I'm pretty sure there will be moments when you think Leica is too much (for traveling, under bad weather, etc), so keep the Nikon as a nice durable backup kit if you can.

And when you think about the repair cost and time, the Nikon is much cheaper and quicker than the Leica as you probably already know...

26. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The FM3 + 45mm lens is a nice small set-up and is (relatively) cheap. Could be useful for those places where you don't feel comfortable carrying expensive equipment.