Constant Aggitation?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by dschneller, Feb 7, 2005.

1. dschneller

dschneller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm developing a roll of Delta 100 right now and using the spin cycle of the washer for constant aggitation. Although I doubt I'm the first to do this, what's better, intermittent aggitation or constant?

Dave

2. eric

eric Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Won't that ruin your washer? And won't the water be against one side of the developing tank cause of the spin?
    Is it just way toooo cold out there in Canada it is starting to interfere with rational behaviour? :smile:
    Constant agitation will probably make your negs pretty dense. Or figure out how much to cut in developing time. Same with stand development I guess...extend developing time.
    Perhaps the Stand developers and Constant developers should get together and compare negs.

3. dschneller

dschneller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    On top of the washer

Actually it's raining today, plus 5 degrees celcius! I just started developing the roll when the spin cycle started up so, I decided to leave it on the washer to see what would happen. The roll is done now, and the negs look evenly developed but as you suggest they might be slightly over-developed. :D

4. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a Unicolour drum for 4x5 sheet film and reduce the developing time by 15% for constant agitation. Seems to work ok for my setup, but I've never tried what you are doing.

5. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I stopped using my Jobo for processing largely because I feel that the rests between agitations allow the shadows build while suppressing the highlights (at least somewhat).

I've never processed film in my washing machine although a print drum on a CPE 2 would probably be a great way to wash the odd pair of socks or undershorts :smile:

6. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it depends on whether the washer is on gentle cycle, or regular, Dave. In particular, I hear the extra-rinse setting needs to be watched closely.

I've had good luck with the companion device, however. :wink:

7. dschneller

dschneller Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Regular cycle with the extra bumpy super spin at the end. You know the kind with the unbalanced load, thump..thump..thump..thump..thump...

8. WarEaglemtn

WarEaglemtn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just remember to use Hardener in the fixer if you use fabric softener.