Contact frame for 6x6??

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by Uncle Goose, May 23, 2007.

1. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I believe paterson used to make these but I have trouble to locate one to buy. Anybody who knows where to get one on-line??

2. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What a coincidence, I've been looking for the same thing this week.

If second-hand is OK, there's always eBay (search for contact proof printer or contact printer or...). Or a real-life photo fair (I believe there's one in Antwerp a few times per year, I should have a leaflet about that somewhere.... :rolleyes:

If you want it new... well, Paterson still makes them, see here, but "quantity: 4" sounds like Paterson wants us to get 4 of them in one buy. Hey, I only need one!

At least one website where I found the item is fotomayr.de (Heimlabor -> Zubehoer -> Rahmen); not sure if it's a Paterson, though. Also, when I look at the price, I'm a bit shocked, so I'm considering 2nd hand.

3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Why not look for a used 4x5" or 5x7" printing frame?
    A little extra space makes it a lot easier to work, and the border o the print is also nice.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the two fellows were looking for the type that holds three strips of negs in a plastic "frame" to keep them in alignment.

5. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

That would indicate some confusion between contact printing and proofing.

6. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hm, yes, and frankly -please someone correct me if I'm mistaken- I don't believe we have separate terms for those in Dutch or Flemish. Proofing is "contactafdrukken" (contact prints), and so is contact printing (I guess).

So, that's our confusion, right there! :wink:

I was interpreting this as proofing, but I'm not sure what Uncle Goose meant...

7. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assumed that the original question had to do with making a single contact print from a single 6x6 frame. I'm not really sure now.

8. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey Kraker, thanks for the info. Indeed there is a fair every now and then in Antwerp but darkroom materials are getting more scarce over there as digital moves on, also it's all about bodies and lenses over there. A new one is indeed expensive that's why I search for secondhand too.

And indeed, it's for contactprinting that has been nicely alligned on the paper. I always mess it up and I want to print contacts so I don't need to enlarge it completely.

9. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could just contact print the negatives in the plastic sleeve.

10. jstraw

jstraw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I still think there is confusion. I think what's desired is a 6x6 print of a single frame, centered on the paper, suitible for display...not a proof sheet.

11. Uncle Goose

Uncle Goose Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I want all of them on 1 sheet but nicely printed. The reason is that I never get them as nicely alligned as I would. A contact frame would give me the oppertunity to get it nice enough to only do contact instead of making prints of all those negatives.

BTW, I mailed to a paterson distributor and he told me that they still deliver that type of frame, that is if I could get it over my heart to spend about 100$ (or roughly 95euro) for it. Dang, that's expensive for some plastic stuff.

12. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Hi, there is also an item called Saunders 120 Super Proofer that has slots to hold the film in place.

Jon

13. MikeK

MikeK Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hmm, contact printing a proof sheet. Now that is confusing :smile:

I found a 120 Paterson Proof Printer on EBay for $15.00 US - including shipping. I believe Saunders also had a 120 proof pinter as well; one of metal construction the other of clear plastic.

Keep checkin that auction site - I am sure one will show up

Mike

14. haris

haris Guest

I bought mine for about 40 EURO. Model number PTP620 (120 (10 x 8") Proof Printer). I bought mine in Croatia. Ask at Fotoimpex, www.fotoimpex.de , they have Paterson stuff, but ask if they have this particular model.

15. z-man

z-man Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    contact/proofing frme

if what is wanted is a metal frame of about 8 1/2 x 11 with a plate glass hinged at the top-

goto adorma or b&h website

have seen them in both stores

30 yrs ago i had one made by paterson and it was a solid well made example of over engineered overkill-wish i still had it

take a piece of glass or plexi or acrylic and duct tape it on the short dimension to a peice of cardboard or pressboard or plywood and you have the same thing for about $2-$5

if proofing just put the negs still in pages(you do store your negs in clear plastic pages in a looseleaf binder don't you?) in the sandwich and expose

if contacting a neg for a finshed print add some bulldog clips or the plastic ones used to close chip bags around the edges so that htere is enuf presure to maintain good contact

vaya con dios

16. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use a sheet of glass to proof print a whole roll of 120 film in transparent HAMA pages on 24x30cm paper. Works perfectly.

for contact prints of a single frame I have black paper insert masks which fit in a 9x12cm contact printing frame: One for 645, one for 6x6, one for 6x7, another 6x9, and a 6.5x9cm sheet insert where the whole film sits in the opening in the mask (with rebates and everything).

17. rshepard

rshepard Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I believe that I still have a second 120-roll film proofing frame that I don't need. It holds three strips of four negatives per strip. I'm looking to sell that one if you're interested.

The one I use all the time holds the negatives in their clear plastic protective sheet and the proof paper underneath that. They are manually aligned, but that's not difficult.

Rich