contact printing plates

Discussion in 'Plate Cameras and Accessories' started by Justin Cormack, Oct 12, 2006.

1. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Looking at my slightly random selection of contact printing frames, I think one of them might be designed for plates - but I am not sure. One says "for film" on the back. Was it simply the case that ones for plates were just exactly the size to hold the glass? or did it fit under the front glass? I have never seen a half plate frames for sale, but on the other hand the non standard size ones I have seem pretty random.

The thing is I would like a frame for printing half plate glass plates and wonder if I will find one in a reasonable timescale. Cant stick a plate under the glass in any of my frames - too tight.

2. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've got some 5x7 plates that fit just right into a 5x7 contact frame if I remove the glass that goes with the frame. I was going to print some this weekend by putting the plate with the emulsion side facing the pressure plate against a sheet of 5x7 MGWT, but I too would love to know how it was done in the past.

- Randy

3. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've got both types - for film, and for glass. I've contact printed 9x12cm glass plates in a 9x12cm plate frame, and it works really well.

What size are your half-plates? I only use "metric" size plates, so I have some spare frames for those other sizes...

4. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They are 4.75x6.5 inches - fall right through the front of

5. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'll check in the morning, but I think I have an old one I won't be using. Just a little bit smaller than 5x7", right?

6. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    12 x 16.5 cm would be about it in metrics.

7. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes thats the one. Half and quarter plate are pretty common in England, much the most common plate sizes in early equipment. No idea why the contact printing frames are so rare given that...

8. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Found it!

Yes, I have one. You can have it; I have enough with 6.5x9, 9x12, 13x18, 5x7", 18x24 and 8x10"... Anyone need a full-plate one? :smile:

9. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, Ole, as a matter of fact I am on the look-out for one... I'll send you a pm.