Containers for storing dichromate sensitizers

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Tom Kershaw, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Firstly, I've been posting most of my carbon printing related questions over on the Bostick & Sullivan forum. However, I realise that not everyone involved in carbon printing uses both forums. To that end, can dichromate sensitizer solutions be stored in plastic bottles or is clear or amber glass the better option?

Tom

2. nawagi

nawagi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    T-
    I store my dichromate/alcohol solution in brown plastic bottles. The solutions keep fine.

NWG

3. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I've always used glass bottles for dichromate storage. This allows me to view the contents of the bottle. I maintain saturated solutions by making sure there is always undisolved crystals on the bottom of the container. This may not be the optimal MO for carbon printing - my solutions are mixed for gum printing. For carbon printing I would mix small precise dilutions and keep those in glass storage bottles.

Don Bryant

4. phritz phantom

phritz phantom Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    i've been using a plastic bottle for quite a while now. no ill effects noticed.
    but it was a bottle bought at a chemistry supply store. one with a thin straw on the cap, that makes pouring small amounts easy.