Contax fans hold on to your socks!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by M. Walter Lyon, Feb 9, 2005.

1. M. Walter Lyon

M. Walter Lyon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kyocera has been letting their distributers know that they are dumping Contax. No word on if they will be picked up by anyone else. Total drag!

2. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I've always been _very_ happy with my Japanese CZ lenses. Never thought much of the cameras except for the ridiculously overpriced S2 that they discontinued anyway.

3. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Of course they are...I just bought into the G system yesterday. I should have warned all of you!

4. M. Walter Lyon

M. Walter Lyon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well I bought the ridiculously overpriced 645AF, and although I love it, I worry about what is going to happen to the price of accessories and service.

5. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

Thanks a heap, Mongo. :mad:

6. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Think of it this way...the price on used equipment (already unbelievably low) should take a nose-dive. I wonder when the "official announcement" will happen.

7. M. Walter Lyon

M. Walter Lyon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don t think they are eager to anounce. I only found out because my special order neck strap and release cord no showed. Fortunately B H photo came to my rescue. I am considering selling the 645 and investing in a Hasselblad set, but I am spoiled by the f stop/ shutter speed that gets etched on my film by this beauty.

8. Ara Ghajanian

Ara Ghajanian Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is a really nice feature.

9. Jeffrey A. Steinberg

Jeffrey A. Steinberg Member

Its a great system (the 645) and I for one will keep on using it. My only concern is getting it fixed if it ever fails. Parts are probably going to be problematic. I have it even worse--I have the 645 and the N1. I love both of the cameras and the lenses.

The writing was on the wall, fair to say. When they pulled the ND1 and didn't come out with anything, it was problematic. They basically came to the opinion (in my opinion without any facts) that "Digital is an R&D heavy business and we just don't have the R&D budget to do this. Its a shame. Kyrocera is an R&D driven company as it relates to ceramics. But in terms of Consumer marketing, they really have never been all that good. The analog cameras for pro's (RTS series) really set the standard at one point and then they rested on the laurels.

Oh well.....at least the used stuff will get much cheaper. This explains why Adray camera in Ann Arbor has great Contax pricing in this issue of Shutterbug.

10. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I like 35mm Contax, both the G2 and the older SLRs, but I guess I bought them for those Zeiss lenses. Where will we get the lenses? Probably can't afford the Ikon.

11. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

Looking around the web, I see that certain Contaxes (Contaxi?) have been discontinued, but not the whole deal. That would be bad.

12. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

13. etriplett

etriplett Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes I hear that the G system is not yet out of production. If you're looking, KEH always has something and I've seen one guy on E-prey selling a bunch of the 16mm lenes.

14. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

I wonder if they are moving their service to Tocad.

Parsippany is closer to me than Somerset

15. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds good to me, Kyocera's US distribution people have been a voice in the wilderness, while Tocad manages sunpak, hakuba, and zero/halliburton -- they've got reps that are active and connected to camera and photo vendors everywhere. Tocad's sunpak service has always been communicative and prompt, so I'm crossing my fingers. If not, my other camera hasn't been made for over 20 years and it seems to work okay.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2005
  16. M. Walter Lyon

M. Walter Lyon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Loose, great search! That is reassuring. At least I will still be able to get lenses for the 645AF. Hope they cover the servicing too.

17. bjorke

bjorke Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    JUST TO BE CLEAR: CONTAX WAS NOT "DUMPED"

From the press release:

"... its commitment to strengthen and expand the Contax brand and line..."

this is a change in U.S. Distribution not "dumping" the Contax line.

18. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Now...that can't be quite right. I mean, seriously, I just bought a G1 and lens, so the company has to go out of business. That's the way the world works.

19. Tom Duffy

Tom Duffy Member

What part of the product line will be expanded? Maybe digital. Not the film cameras. Don't get me wrong, I have skin in the game, too. I have a Contax 645 and 45, 80 and 140mm lenses. I love the camera, other than the battery comsumption issue, the lack of halfstops on the lenses and the fact that it goes to "sleep" to conserve the battery after only 15 seconds. The lenses are great and the camera truly handles like a large 35mm.

But, the handwriting has been on the wall for a long time. the camera has seriously needed upgrades for quite a while and it has never happened. I wouldn't be suprised if they never make another new 645 again. I had considered buying a spare body to cover my lens investment, but I just can't afford to, anymore. I think there will be lots of cameras available for a while and we can always cannibalize used ones to keep our stuff going. That said, I always thought Kyrocea had pretty deep pockets. It's a damn shame...

20. boilerdoc

boilerdoc Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am trying to find a used Kodak DCS 16 MP back for my 645, that's how much I love mine! Just returned from Yellowstone where I shot 35mm due to the harsh weather but wish to heck I had my Contax. Small format just does not compare.

21. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  22. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe a wise choice

I own a good deal Of Contax equipment and I love it...an RTSIII and 9 prime lenses obtained over a period of time from Ebay and photo.net as used but like new equipment. I have been highly satisfied with all of these items.

What I was not satisfied with was customer support of Contax USA. Sending them an email to learn something was like sending it to a digital wasteland. On the other hand if is sent a question to Zeiss in germany about their lenses for Contax I got an extremely satisfactory answer, most of the time from someone with a doctorate, and It is by far the best and most interesting manufacturers' website I have visited.

So, I would consider a change in distributorship not likely to be a step backward and I will remain hopeful.