Contax G - Always On?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by zsas, Aug 13, 2012.

1. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I've just got a new (to me) G2. I notice that when the camera is off, the frame counter LCD still illuminates as well as other LCD if set to DX film.

Is it me, or do you think that the prevelence of G1's and G2's with LCD bleed is a result of this 'always on feature'? Thankfully mine has no issues w it.

I will be sure to keep mine w/o batteries while not in use to not promote the degradation of the LCD.

I know it is always good practice to remove batteries after a shoot anyway regardless of camera brand/model; but this just convinced me further to do such immediately post get home.

You other G folks do same and think that the preponderance of G's with LCD bleed were kept for a while in a camera bag in off position?

2. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Canon EOS bodies always show something in the LCD, even when turned off.

I don't think they suffer unusually from LCD bleed.

3. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Andy ,

I found the manual from Butkus and tried to read fast but I could not find the answer. I would spend 1 month to use that camera correctly , it seems to me complicated , every display on the camera goes off after 16 seconds... Two big battery is required and manual warns about cold weather for battery life.

Umut

4. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I understand, LCD bleed is more a function of age (and possibly thermal excursions) than anything else.

5. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've shot a G2 since the year 2000. Never took the batteries out except to replace worn out ones. I would not be taking yours in and out if I were you. More chance of crossing the threads on that battery cap than a chance of the LCD bleeding I think. Just leave them in.

Congrats on the G2. Welcome to the club. The 45 is easily the SHARPEST and most 3-D effect lens I've ever used.

6. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you want to display something on a LCD you need power (to generate an alternating drive signal for the LCD). Bleeding is not wear but a sealing issue - at some point the sealing of a LCD breaks down and the innards change.

7. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a G2 outfit for a long time and it is the biggest regret of my camera ownership that I sold it. Now as they are getting older and older I think again about buying one, but am more nervous about it.

But LCD degradation, as others have said, isn't down to it being 'ON', but gettting old. I wouldn't normally take batteries out of a camera because for each time you do it the contacts and the battery can be contaminated with grease and sweat, eventually causing corrosion. Perhaps if the camera gets wet I would do it, but as the technical side of photography is largely about reducing the possibility of errors I'd be worried about running out the door with a fully electronic camera and no batteries in it! If you leave a gap for an error one will creep in.

Steve