Contax G2 metering

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by mesh, Apr 13, 2010.

1. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Does the G2 and G1 meter TTL? I assumed it did, but when I tested it with an orange filter yesterday, I was getting a third stop difference (I guess since there IS a difference it must be TTL). It's supposed to be about 1.5 stops though so not sure what gives...

Thanks.

2. nickstreme

nickstreme Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks very much - I wonder why I only got a third stop difference with the orange filter then... do you think I should trust the TTL, or compensate say an extra stop? Just seems a bit weird.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've had nothing but great results from the in-camera meter, but I've only ever used the Contax skylight filters with it. It SHOULD be accurate, but the spectral response of the meter may be thrown off by the color of the filter. When in doubt, set exposure manually and compensate accordingly.

5. mesh

mesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks - I should meter with my Sekonic and compare... just didn't have it on hand and was being lazy ;-) Thanks for the responses. I've had pretty good luck with the meter also in the short time I've used it, so nothing to complain about. Just getting used to all the little G idiosyncrasies.

6. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the TTL metering (G2) with yellow, orange, red filters routinely. The usual TTL caveats apply whether or not you use a filter, but I haven't noticed any additional problems caused by the filters. I've always used manual exposure with IR filters, though. :smile:

7. naaldvoerder

naaldvoerder Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The ttl metering in the contax aria seems to be oversensitive to red. Maybe it runs in the familly

Jaap jan Helder

8. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Put the 90mm lens on and put it on a gray card so it fills the viewfinder. If you don't get your 1.5 stops as advertised, then I don't know what to tell you.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess the filter density was not indicated in stops, but as factor. In this case the metering of the camera would be acceptable.

10. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Unfortunately, you can't depend on your in-camera meter when using B&W filters. Some meters are more sensitive to different colours. One camera may show the correct reading, whilst another may show a considerably different reading. I've gotten into the habit of checking my camera's metering before going out to shoot by holding the filter up to the lens and verifying things first. On my Nikon FG, I get a good reading w/ a yellow filter, but orange and red filters require a manual adjustment to get things right. On my Nikkormat, I can let the camera's meter handle things most times, but I still check it beforehand out of habit.

For my next trick, I will reply to a thread that's well over 5 years old.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2013