Contax G2 showing "low battery" warning with fresh batteries

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by brendanmega, Jul 6, 2014.

1. brendanmega

brendanmega Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hey there,
    my Contax G2 batteries died recently. No surprise there. But when I replaced them with fresh batteries, I was still receiving the low battery warning in the top LCD. I've tried a few brands of battery since then but am still having the same issue. I can't shoot and there is no info displayed in the viewfinder. Has anyone had a similar issue with their G2?

2. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have never owned a G2 but assuming you have checked the output voltage of the new batteries with a meter and they are correct, it sounds like an electronics fault that needs some professional attention.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

3. ContaxRTSFundus

ContaxRTSFundus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi - there are a few references online to battery drain on G2s so it would appear to be a known component issue.

As you know, spares are notoriously difficult to find and that means very few people can repair these lovely cameras - your best bet is ToCAD in the US, if only as a starting point as they used to service Contax gear after the collapse of the brand. It would be great to know which component was damaged (probably a voltage regulator) and whether it was common to the G1 as those bodies are very cheap now (especially the silver label ones) and could provide a donor... Then it's just a matter of finding a technician or a repair manual and a soldering iron.
    Good luck...