COntax to LTM Adapter, some samples

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by lens_hacker, Aug 12, 2007.

1. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I got the test results back using the Contax to LTM adapter made by Amedeo Muscelli. I am very happy with the results. I tested it using it my Zeiss 5cm F1.5 and Menopta 53/1.8. Both are Contax mount lenses.

Zeiss 50mm (Edited from 'cm') F1.5, later model that dropped the "Opton" from the name.

Wide-open on the Canon 7, metered using the camera's selenium meter.

[​IMG]

And with the Menopta 53/1.8 wide-open. This is an export version of the Helios-103.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2007
  2. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Just a note. Zeiss lenses marked in cm are prewar and lenses marked in mm are postwar.

Is this lens a 50mm Sonnar or a 5cm Sonnar?

While both focal lengths are the same, how they are marked on the lens indicates whether they are prewar or postwar.

3. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I just checked- it's in Millimeters. You think they would have labeled it 52mm or 53mm. I'm used to my Nikkors from the same period still being cm. It has the linear F-stop markings, and has a serial number in the 14x range. I've got another Zeiss-Opton in the 10x range and another in the 112x range. They are all sharp.

4. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    On a slightly different subject, is anyone aware of a Contax lens to M42 adapter? I see ones going the other way, but haven't found any reference to this so far.

Just curious, as I'd like to try a few of the FSU lenses that are available in LTM and Contax-mount only.

5. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are killing me with this post! I have two Contax to Leica M adapters that required quite a bit of adjustment to make them work. They were both from johnluk. In hindsight I should have bought the ones from Amadeo, but at the time there was absolutely nothing on the internet about the different adapters. I kind of want a LTM adapter now so I can use the lenses with my Canon 7 as well.
    You can read about the adjustment process here-

http://www.rangefinderforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43587

Patrick

6. Eric Mac

Eric Mac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Contax adaptor

I purchased an adaptor from the South American guy and ended up returning it as I couldn't get it to focus close up. Mine was about a foot off. He did take the return though, although he was not too happy. Had I read the further adventures of recalibrating it, I might have taken a chance on it.

Eric

7. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    It's amazing what 0.5mm will do to the focus of a lens. The difference between a Nikon S-mount lens working on an adapter, and a Zeiss lens working.

This LTM adapter is pretty amazing. It is thin, but I've had it on/off 10 times already. I'm thinking of leaving it on a Canon 7. Manually selected framelines, metal curtains, and the meter. And I have two of them.

Just to add: the back-focus for the M42 mount is much greater than the 28.8mm that these lenses are designed for.

But I did get a Zeiss-Jena preset 50/2.8 Tessar in M-42 mount transplanted into LTM, using the focus mount from an I-61L/D.

RF COupled, collimated for the Leica. On the Canon 7, wide-open.

[​IMG]

Brian

8. Hugivza

Hugivza Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can someone please give a contact for Amedeo Muscelli as I would like to purchase an adaptor to enable me to use my ZI Contax lenses on my Voigtlanders

9. Wayne R. Scott

Wayne R. Scott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think this will work:

amedeo at muscelli. net

Eliminate the spaces and change "at" to @.

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2008
  10. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Since posting these, I've found that the pre-war Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm f2 optics module will fit perfectly into a J-8 mount, and the pre-war 5cm F1.5 Sonnar will fit into a J-3 Mount.

[​IMG]

It's easy to do. I can post some instructions if anyone is interested.

11. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Collimated for wide-open and close-up for the Leica, best to stop down a little for infinity. The Sonnar focus shift helps stretch that infinity focus.

Wide-open at F2:

[​IMG]

TIGHT Crop of above.

[​IMG]

12. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Nice addition for a small camera.

This one is set in a 1955 J-8 focus mount, the later 1980s Black mounts work just as well. The earlier mounts are double-helical.

[​IMG]

13. Wayne R. Scott

Wayne R. Scott Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So, will a post war Sonnar f1.5's elements fit into a J-3 ltm mount?

What happens when you use these adapted lens with a ltm to M adapter on a Leica M mount body?

Wayne

14. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is great news! Now I may be able to finally sell the Kiev 4 and get a Canon P again!

...eventually. Maybe once my love affair with this Graphic View thingamajig cools a little. :wink:

15. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    He Stephanie!

Have you posted any Baby Pictures lately??

Brian

16. lens_hacker

lens_hacker Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    > So, will a post war Sonnar f1.5's elements fit into a J-3 ltm mount?

NO! The post war lenses will not work. The optics and fixtures were enlarged. The Zeiss Opton is much different construction, and the post-war Zeiss Jena's are larger diameter optics and threads.

The Pre-War and Wartime optics modules will work. The fixtures are Longer than the J-3, and the "prescription" of the glass is different. BUT- in the worst case, take off the variable stand-off ring of the J-3, polish it down, and use it on the Zeiss module to go into the Jupiter focussing mount.

The 5cm F2 requires that you use the J-8 aperture ring in place of the Zeiss ring. The 5cm F1.5 aperture ring can stay in place on the J-3 Mount. I've done 5 exchanges to date.

The J-8 Module WILL NOT go into the collapsible 5cm F2 mount, but an I-61 module fits after polishing down the aperture ring. The J-3 module fits into the Contax 5cm f1.5 mount, but you need to polish it down a bit. The J-3 mount is shorter.

Yup- That Canon P would look something like this...

[​IMG]