Contrast filter placement question

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Saganich, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Saganich

Saganich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    This question has been frying my noodle for a couple days. On my Focomat iia (which I havent used yet) there is a slot for format masks which is below the neg and above the lens. Rather then using a below lens filter rigup I can just slide filters in the format mask slot. I feel that this is essentially the same as an under the lens filter. IS this true?

2. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    In my opinion I prefer it to under the lens filters.

3. George Collier

George Collier Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the best place is above the neg, out of the optical path, for best sharpness, an option you may not have. If used one of the two ways you describe, keep them in great shape.

4. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Saganich

Saganich Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes that is the one except the one shown in the color versions which had a filter draw. I read an account where the working prints are done with the below lens filters then for the final prints they put a gel on top of the condenser. Interesting but since I split grade often this would not be feasable. Thanks for the comments

6. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, I have used split filtration with an old Leitz Valoy by removing the lamp housing and placing filters on the condenser. It wasn't really that difficult to do with the Valoy after getting used to the procedure.