Contrast problems with RVP100...

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by davetravis, Oct 8, 2005.

1. davetravis

davetravis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi Folks,
    I've been doing my own E-6 for a while, and have never had this problem in such an extreme form: Old RVP50 - O.K.; New RVP100 done in the same batches - loss of shadow detail, and much more contrast! At first I thought maybe too much agitation for the newer emulsion, but haven't been able to find any answers from anywhere. I'm using Jobo tanks on the CPP2 processor, and the Tetenal 4-step. Increased 1st developer 16 %. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay nobody else answered.

Are you using the longer time because it's Fuji film? Maybe Fuji has fixed the issue that required the longer time? Try a roll of the RVP100 at the normal time.

3. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I haven't noticed this with the new RVP100, but I got mine from Japan about a year ago. I use the same chemicals in a Jobo as well.

If Fuji has changed the film I think Dave's images would be too light and have enhanced shadow detail. Sounds like it went the other way.

Try sending some out to a lab and see if it comes back the same. It may help you see if it is a problem with the film or the development.

4. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Today I spoke at some length to two of the UK's mail-order film suppliers. They report that despite decent supply of the RVP 100, the original RVP 50 is out-selling the new film by a great margin. Further they both indicated feedback from users of poor shadow detail and high contrast from Velvia 100. I could get both of those simply by pushing RVP 50.

Both companies indicated that they were still -so far- getting supplies of the original Velvia from Fuji, and I feel that were Fuji convinced by their current Velvia 100 they'd be working very hard to complete the conversion process. Personally I still regard RVP 50 as a mainstream film and I'll just keep trying a few rolls of Velvia 100 until I'm convinced they have it right.