Convert Simmon Omega D2 from baseboard to wall mount

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Irvine_Short, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Irvine_Short

Irvine_Short Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

I have a Simmon Omega D2 that works very well up to 12x16. I have 16x20 paper and a 16x20 easel.

Now I need more height...

Any tips for getting the D2 off the baseboard and on to the wall? I do not think it is likely I will find the correct bracket so I was thinking I would use the baseboard bracket on a wall mounted shelf in combination with stabilizing wires.

I imagine there will be some cleverness involved in getting the angle of the enlarger column correct.

Cheers,

--Irvine

2. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In my old darkroom I had the column mounted on a heavy shelf that was bolted direct into the wall studs at the height I wanted. I then used cable and turn buckles connected to the column and eye bolts in the wall studs to keep it steady. I had it set to a normal working height and rolled a table under it when doing 8x10 enlargements. Doing larger I would place a bench under the head or even just shoot onto the floor.

3. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
  4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wall mount brackets don't come cheap for these, but keep watch on evilbay and you may get one reasonably priced.

5. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Irvine,

I can never remember if the old one is the D2 or the DII. If it's the newer one, an XL chassis might be the easiest way to go. You can print 20x24 on them. If you have the old one, buy the newer one but with a dichroic head. You'll love it.

Good luck with your project,

Neal Wydra

6. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Here’s the Omega part. For the D5/D6. I think that the D2 uses the same part or could easily be modified if needed.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/39632-REG/Omega_429092_Heavy_Duty_Wall_Mount.html

By examining the photo, we can see that it’s simply a robust 90° bracket.

The photo shows it upside-down. The upright profile is the plate that mounts to the wall.

That wouldn’t be difficult for someone with metal working skills to fabricate as a steel or aluminum weldment.

One or more bracing ribs as shown is essential for rigidity.

If I designed one, the plate facing the wall would be longer vertically with more mounting screws to the wall for a more secure mount.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What format are you working with? Could one of the wide-angle lenses solve your problem?

8. Irvine_Short

Irvine_Short Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks All! I asked Harry at Classic Enlargers, he has the top and bottom brackets as a set for $200.00 but the shipping to South Africa would not be worth it. As this is a part time hobby everything is on a tight budget so it seems I will be making stuff. I'll either get a bracket welded up or make a very sturdy shelf from a solid piece of wood.

In combination with the wall mount I will be making an adjustable shelf to drop the baseboard down.

9. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you are handy with tools then guitstik's reply is the one to go with.

10. X. Phot.

X. Phot. Guest

If I recall, the D2 column can rotate on it's base. Though I haven't had the need, can't you rotate the column 90 or 180 degrees to allow it to hang over the edge of a table/bench. Put ballast weight on the base board to keep it secured on the table (lots and lots of books). That might give 28" plus added height if the easel is placed on the floor. It's just a theory. I can test this later this evening.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  11. X. Phot.

X. Phot. Guest

Verified: the base on my D2 will rotate 360 degrees if so desired. I loosened the lugs, rotated it 180 to overhang the edge of the desk and re-tightened. Lots of weight was placed on the baseboard to keep her steady. Maximum enlarger height reached with a 27" tall table (lens to floor) was 58 inches.

4x5 negative w/ 190mm lens = 24" x 31"
    6x6 negative w/ 135 mm lens = 22" x 22"
    35mm negative w/ 75mm lens = 19" x" 28"
    35mm negative w/ 50mm lens = 28" x 40"

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2011
  12. robtmwall

robtmwall Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had the same issue with my darkroom which is space limited; 4 feet by 7 feet. I had exposed wall studs inside the darkroom, so I cut a 2x12x55 board and mounted that between the wall studs using a very accurate level. The top of the board is 18 inches above the table, and that allows a maximum size of about 20x24 although the intent was to do 16x20 prints with some cropping. I mounted an old Lentar 6x6 and a Beseler 67 dichro head on there, and that was back about 25 years ago. Sad to say the darkroom hasn't seen much use over the last several years, but that is going to change as I get back into alternative process work.