converting holga to 4x5"

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by Rock Poper, Jun 12, 2005.

1. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hi

i am trying to connect one of my holgas to a 4x5" back, and i want to know if it is possible to take apart the lens and change the focal length or image circle by fiddling with the lens elements...

sorry, i'm new to large format and i also don't know much about lenses :wink:

paul

2. gma

gma Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No.

3. Alex Hawley

Alex Hawley Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm not sure a Holga lens has elements. Not sure why you want to try this project. I doubt the Holga has enough lens coverage anyway. If you want to have fun with it, get the polaroid back; no conversion required. If you want to start LF inexpensively, get a Graphic press camera. But don't try to weld the two together into one.

4. MattCarey

MattCarey Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Buy ony old crappy 4x5, do not learn how to use it, break the lens and voila! Big Holga!

6. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You forgot, "Make sure the film holder isn't quite seated correctly, so you get light leaks." :smile:

7. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    well i'm not so much looking for cheap as i am looking for strange :smile:

but thanks for the help

rock

8. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Oh...strange. Well, then just about any old LF camera will do. I guarantee, if you take a LF camera out in public, you'll get all kinds of strange....looks and questions that is...The bigger and older, the better. Try a restored Kodak 2d - not strange at all to us but, to the general public....it's down right certifiable. Try it and be sure to share your stories here in the lounge.

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    you can look for an olde sears demar or cyclone 4x5 box camera - they will take 4x5 film holders (+plates) and use a meniscus lens -
    you can also remove the element and use a plastic copy machine lens, you might be happy ...

my personal favorite is to use a speed graphic ( has a focal plane shutter) and use the a single cell lens that was harvested off of a junk folder. or you can also do the plungercam//loupe thang :smile:

-john

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2005
  10. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've harvested a few lenses from old Kodak folding cameras that took 122 film. The lenses cover 4x5, but have a wonderful soft glow to them. You might give this a try. Getting a folder with a Rapid Rectilinear lens in the 160-170mm range usually costs less than having the camera shipped to you. (I bought the cameras to make panoramic roll film cameras out of them using other lenses...having these wonderful old lenses included was quite a nice bonus.)

11. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    the idea behind Holga's for me really is the crappy vignetting - by projecting this onto a 4x5 holder, i was hoping to get to see either the full circle in all its dispersed glory (by keeping the distance between the rear lens element and the film plane the same as for a standard holga 6x6) - or probably more interesting is extending this distance to enlarge with image circle over the 4" axis at least and get much better close focus - a macro 4x5 Holga ...

just for the stupidity of it - and the learning.. would be nice to see a diagram of a Holga before I break one in half tho :wink:

12. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be more cost effective to break the Holga.

13. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could get a crown graphic and just mount the holga lens onto a lens board. It won't have a shutter, but the speed graphics won't collapse enough to let you use one at infinity.

I have a 3x4 crown graphic and have mounted a holga lens onto it.

14. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  15. Rock Poper

Rock Poper Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    theres a crown graphic 4x5 for sale here in NZ for approx $300 US - (unsure of the lens type) - however to get a a holga costs us around $30 US - the building of the 'bit' that connects the back to the holga lens mounting is the *fun* bit...

16. Sapphirephoenix2

Sapphirephoenix2 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  17. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    taking the holga apart isn't a big deal as far as getting the lens off. it unscrews once you take the set screw out from the inside. putting the lens on a lens board is your best bet. you could put the whole assembly on a lens board to keep the shutter intact as well.