Converting Process to Studio Portrait Camera

Discussion in 'Ultra Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MikeK, Aug 6, 2006.

1. MikeK

MikeK Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Walnut Creek
    Large Format
    Picked up an Argyle 18 Process camera from a print shop in Berkley that had converted to digital. It was free, but came with an 210mm f9 Computar :smile:

Then had a thought, I could probably convert this beast to a studio camera. I have a 16" f3.5 Vitax Portrait lens that is way too heavy for any camera I have. Well up until now. Making the lensboard should be straightforward. For the film taking end I was thinking of making two backs using an 8x10 and 11x14 back. I have an old 8x10 back I can put into service - now need to keep my eyes peeled for an old "junker" 11x14 back.

The camera also has a vacuum back and takes film up to 14"x18". While I would not need the vacuum back for the camera it makes a pretty good printing easel.

If anyone is interested I can post a few pictures of the beast. Actually there was one up on EBay - located in Sunnyvale; and this one has a 210mm APO Gerogon.