Cooke Triplet lens - any for M's

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Eric Rose, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Were there any Cooke Triplet's made for either M or LTM cameras? Not Tessar's, just Cooke Triplet's. For that matter any made for Nikon F mount as well??

2. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The famous Elmar 90mm triplet better than it's 4 element brothers, the MS-Optical Perar (M), Leica Televid is a triplet, 135mm Triotar for LTM and probably many more

Dominik

3. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    If you want to cut the expense , I saw a Triotar Rollei 35 for 170 at KEH. Excellent lens really.

4. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks guys. I'm not looking to save any money, I just like the "look" these triplets have. I am mainly looking for a 35mm or 50mm lens.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe look for a Meyer Trioplan or a Domiplan they were sold in various mounts, if you can't find Leica screw thread then M42 should be adapable to Nikon F.

The problem is most triplets weren't sold for SLR use and often come in cheaper Pronto/Prontor/Vario shutters for folding cameras 35mm and 120, they are almost all cell focussing.

Ian

6. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    MS Optical are the people to talk to. They have a triplet 35mm collapsible lens, amongst others, and while having the quirks of being 'hand made', they still are top quality lenses.

Steve

7. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    By the time the SLR became widely popular in the 1960s, the industry had long since moved on from the triplet.

And most SLR buyers wanted a high-quality optic, not a bargain-bin lens.

I think your best bet would be to find a pre-1950s viewfinder/rangefinder camera with a triplet. Or as others have suggested, adapt an older lens to an SLR mount.

8. jochen

jochen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,
    the Meyer Domiplan 1:2,8/50 mm was often sold as the cheapest lens with DDR cameras. I think it cannot be adapted to Nikon F because the register of Nikon is longer. The triplet is ideally suited for the cheap front-lens focussing and this was nearly always the case with fix built in lenses (like Agfa Optima).