Corfield Focus Finder

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Steve Roberts, Dec 17, 2007.

1. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi,

I've never felt the need to use any kind of focussing device when enlarging, but was interested to find in a box of bits I recently purchased a device called a "Corfield Focus Finder". The Corfield in question would seem to be Roger Corfield of Periflex fame and the device is a small, black plastic two inch cube with a wedge shape chopped off one of the top corners. On the resulting top horizontal rectangle is a clear window, down which the image is projected from the enlarger. This is reflected by a mirror on to the inside of a ground glass screen on the chopped off face. Great play is made in the instructions of how the image seen is so much brighter than that normally seen on the baseboard - and indeed this is so. The plastic used is of a hard type and the blurb stresses that the accuracy of manufacture is to plus and minus two thousandths of an inch.

Not having used or researched enlarging focussing aids, perhaps this is a common approach, but it's certainly different to my only other knowledge of the grain focussing technique.

Best wishes,

Steve

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oops! Thanks for correcting me, Ian.
    Where did I get "Roger" from?

Thanks for the link.

Steve

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Many manufacturers made them, some find them easier to use.