Correcting convergence

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by mr rusty, Mar 5, 2012.

1. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have an enlarger where I can swing the whole head, which in theory I guess I can use to correct convergence in shots of buildings. I haven't tried this yet, but obviously the focus will get mucked up a bit between the near and far points on the image from the enlarger lens. What are peoples thoughts? is this practical? or is the depth of field of the image never good enough for it to really work?

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  3. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks Steve! I do have a tilting lens board as well, so in due course I will try this. Thanks for the article link which answers all the questions.

4. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have made slight corrections by tilting the easel. Stop down and make test prints to see if burning or dodging part of the print is needed. Don't try to do too much. You didn't mention the size of the negative which might make a difference.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Always remember that when you do this to modify the shapes of things like buildings, you will also be modifying the shapes of everything else in the scene.

People, cars and signs can look really strange when they are "modified for convergence".

6. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Correcting convergence with the enlarger has some advantages over front rise.
    1) You use the center of the taking lens
    2) The actual angle of view is greater when pointing up, compared to a front rise
    3) You can use smaller, more compact, more inexpensive lenses.

Pictures show:
    1) a modest Durst enlarger that does a correct baseboard tilt and lens tilt.
    2) Durst 8x10 enlarger, again with baseboard and lensboard tilt.
    3) my Durst used to make the following picture
    4) 8x10 negative from a lowly Symmar-S 210mm pointed up. Notice that there is no light falloff at the top of the image, as one would get with a wide field lens with a lot of front rise.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
  7. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. I find uncorrected leaning signs, people, wine-bottles and cars odd, unless you want the special effect.

Attached image (from http://images.nikonians.org) showing pretty normal-looking people, signs and cars in a highly corrected image.
    nouvel_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2012
  8. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nice demo!

9. mr rusty

mr rusty Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I knew all the old hands would have all the answers! This forum is great. For those who have read my other posts, I am in the process of setting up a dark room. Until very recently I had never made a print before in my life - so it's all one huge learning curve. The darkroom is nearly finished - I ordered some epoxy for the sink today. I still haven't ever developed a film (only prints so far from existing negs), but my supplies from silverprint came yesterday so it won't be long. My family think I am slightly mad investing in something which most people think is obsolete!