Cosina C1S questions...

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Regencyriggs, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Regencyriggs

Regencyriggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello all,

Been a long time since I've been on here since I haven't had the internet at my house in over a year!

I was looking in to getting a new 35mm camera soon, and was curious if any one had much experience with the Cosina C1S. The first camera I shot with when I was a kid was a Pentax K1000 and have always loved their lenses, so it would be cool to have a NEW camera that I could throw those lenses on. The only question is the price, at only 149.99 with a 35-70mm f/3.5-4.8 lens I was wondering if it was worth a toot. It's imported, so I don't suppose I'll have any kind of warranty but at the price I'm not to worried. Just curious about the build of it and the meter. I can always use an external meter but would really enjoy being able to use the cameras when I can if it's accurate.

Thanks in advance for the help about any information you can give me on it. Didn't see anything when I did a search for it on here so hopefully I didn't overlook a post about it or not go back far enough.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/571458-GREY/Cosina_CS1_C1s_35mm_SLR_Manual.html

2. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cosina makes a lot of cameras for different brands. I wouldn't hesitate to buy it. I'm guessing it's a similar build quality to the Nikon FM10, which they also make. That said, I don't have any personal experience with the C1S.

3. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I personally would spend a bit more and get a quality kit such as a Nikon N90/50mm f1.8 AF-D for around $200 US off of KEH.com

4. Regencyriggs

Regencyriggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One of the big reasons I was looking at the C1S that I didn't mention, is I wanted a manual camera. That is manual focus/shutter/winder/aperture and all. In the realm of new cameras I haven't really seen any other ones aside from the Vivitars which I've heard less than stellar things about over all. I won't be using the stock lens at all I doubt on the C1s either, so that's no worry. Just happens that I can't find the body only.

5. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Do you really have to buy new though? You could buy a nice Nikon FE or something with a lens off KEH.com for not too much more money than the C1s new, and it would have a metal body, much higher quality parts, a better lens, and full manual.

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First thing is Where are you?
    Second, Do you already have some Pentax lenses. If you do, consider a used K mount body.
    Marko has suggested KEH and that's a good option. The problem with K1000's is they're very popular and priced accordingly. Oddly though KM & KX bodies may be the same $$ or less.

7. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And better featured camera's. Not forgetting the MX.

Ian

8. Regencyriggs

Regencyriggs Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I live in Georgia and had thought often about getting a used camera. I really wasn't sure though as most cost about the same as a Cosina and if the bits and such are about the same, I figured I might as well get new! It looks like I might end up with a used after all though, which doesn't bother me. I've only had a handful of new cameras anyway. I don't really care to have a Nikon mostly because I prefer Pentax lenses and they seem to be a bit better of a deal over all. I guess I'll just have to see. I just got a Canonette QL17 of ebay so I might wait a little bit to get it. Can't wait to use that because I've yet to own a rangefinder.

Thanks again for all the help, and I'll let you all know about what I end up with.