Cost of Enlarger

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by mporter012, Jul 13, 2013.

1. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Can someone give me an idea of what I should look for in purchasing an older used enlarger? I know very little so any info will be helpful!

Thanks -

2. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Enlarger prices are all over the place. From free to overpriced. Keep your eyes open a month or 2 and you as likely as not to end up with a whole darkroom--more goodies than you can haul away.

3. jpreston

jpreston Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just bought a Beseler 45 MCXAG enlarger with color and black and white heads, several negative carriers, timer and color filters for $80.00.

4. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ideally I'd like to be able to enlarge up to 6x6 - I do not need large format capabilities.

5. summicron1

summicron1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    there was a besseler dichro enlarger in a box at a thrift store near here a bit ago, lens and all, took up to 6 by 7 -- seriously, if they have Craigslist or some other form of on-line free classifieds, start checking, you will see whole darkrooms going for as little as $100 ... put the word out -- a note on the bulletin board at church -- and wait, someone is likely to give you one.

6. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A max of 6x6 opens up a lot of possibilities; such as an Omega B22 or a Beseler 23c. As others have said, wait long enough and you'll find one for free. But if you do buy one, make sure it has the negative carriers you need. Otherwise, you'll end up spending a lot more for the carriers than for the enlarger.

7. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This is great news! I was expecting the cost to be much higher than say, 'free' - I imagine that it's easiest to buy a complete package with lenses and the enlarger?

8. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Nobody can say what you might be able to expect. This site and others are chock full of stories, including myself of; of hitting on a goldmine. It happens all the time. Keep an eye on dregslist especially. Keep your eyes open. One day sooner than later you're bound to make a haul Although most of these bargains are not known for ending up with great lenses, at least not for me. So I also keep my eye open on fleabay for Ektars, which are my favorite.

9. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You can have this for free if you come to CT...

[​IMG]

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

10. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I picked up a Beseler 23C II with Nikkor 50mm lens, working bulb, spare bulb, red glass intact, 35mm carrier... just missing heat glass, filters, and the medium format carriers. That didn't stop me from using it right away, and even got a few good lucky enlargements without multigrade filters. I spent $50 on it. The first neg carrier I bought for it cost slightly more than the enlarger itself!

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Beseler 23Cii that I am giving away. If you want to do a road trip, I can do a hands on DR session with you to get you started, or if you can't come this far, I will be in the Irwin/Monroeville area on the upcoming weekend, and can bring the machine, and meet ther, if you want it.

12. mporter012

mporter012 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the offer. This is great. I am actually in Chicago now - but my parents are in Franklin PA, and I have relatives in Pittsburgh area, so if you give me an idea of when you are going to be in Monroeville, I was thinking that it may be possible for my uncle to meet you somewhere and pick up the enlarger. It's possible my Dad could also meet you somewhere as well. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks Rick!

Mark

13. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Free or close to it would be a good starting point. Assuming you have the room, you might look at picking up a Beseler (or similar) 4X5 in case you decide on 6X9 or 4X5 format. Your best bet is to watch for someone who has the associated equipment you will need in the package. UNless free, I'd probably only look for a package which includes the lenses and negative carrier. You will likely end up spending more for those pieces if bought seperately than you would for a complete unit. Bill Barber

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just picked up a 23c in seemingly near perfect condition, along with a half dozen carriers and two lenses, for $20. Found it locally on Craigslist.

16. GregW

GregW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    recently got a DII with 4 lenses- several are schneiders, cones, carriers, easel, trays, 11 x 14 paper, a 11 x 14 archival washer (man this thing is heavy) the whole kit and kaboodle for free off of craigslist.

17. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For your FIRST enlarger, look for a free one. Once you learn how to use that, you are in a better position to know what to look for when buying.

18. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll be in the Monroeville area on the 19, 20, and 21st, send me a PM and I'll get you the particulars and a phone number to reach me at.

19. summerbee

summerbee Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You guys in the States get real bargains around! I paid 80 € for a Durst F60.
    Will they leave taxes away when EU and USA will subscribe the free trade agreement they are speaking about these days? I really hope so!

20. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I don't know about any free trade agreement, but whatever happens you can be sure the tax-addicts will load it up. So I wouldn't count on any relief on that score. At that, I'll leave my opinion out because this site isn't real happy on political opinions.

21. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    You report capital gains on your freely gifted stuff, you're not very smart lol

22. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Clearly, Stone doesn't understand how tax auditors work.

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I do, but there are things they just don't need to know about, and if something is FREE then it's inherent value is 0... If someone is willing to pay nothing for something then it has no value, and therefore shouldn't be taxed, you can't quantify some things gifted money is a little different, there's a constant value on money that CAN be quantified.

Plus I believe in "free trade" in terms of bartering. I think taxing NEW goods, and goods that have been refurbished is ok, but taxing a used good is bullshit, someone already payed the taxes on that items value. Unless I'm selling the item and claiming the depreciation loss on my taxes, the other guy shouldn't pay any taxes on the item, the government already got their money. If however I do claim a depreciation on the sale of it, then the other person (should be told) and write that as a purchase.

Trust me, I know a lot about tax law, and have my own opinion of how it should work and be fair and not take advantage. No taxation without reason and intent... That's my feeling.

24. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I ain't saying nuttin'.

25. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was referring to the fact that auditors have been known to actually research the internet presence of the person they audit.

And tax law is inherently simple - if the statute makes something taxable, then it is taxable. And if it doesn't succeed in making it taxable, it isn't taxable. Traditionally, taxing statutes would be strictly construed by courts.

Fairness is a question of politics, not tax law, unless the tax law actually incorporates questions of fairness into its language

26. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back to the topic of the thread?