Counter number imprinted on film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by SMBooth, Jun 27, 2011.

1. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have a problem with the counter numbers appearing on an image, is it possible that an old roll of film will transfer the dye to the film base or do I have a light leak in my camera?. Old film with Provia100-1999. Colours are fine in actual image, but have saturated the attached image to show the problem

Cheers
    Shane

Attached Files:

2. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What type of camera is this?

3. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Looks like exposure through the backing paper.

5. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Seem like I might have to buy a stronger torch to look for the leak. But it would have to be fairly significant to imprint the way it has. Do you know if older backing paper was thinner than the newer stuff because it does appear on a Tmax test roll I did.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
  6. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How do you wind your film? With a red window or similar to look at frame numbers? I agree that it's light coming through something like that and exposing the film through the backing paper. There are also big horizontal streaks that I suspect come from a similar source.

7. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a sliding cover which reviles a hole to show the frame number, but it is in the top 1/3 of the frame ( iwind left to right using the 6x9 frame numbers), these number imprinted are in the sky so in reality are the bottom 1/3 when the image is reversed in camera so I don't think its the counter hole because light through the counter hole would show up in the lower section.

8. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Loose roll? Changing rolls in full sunlight?

9. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, perhaps the most likely cause.

10. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ink transfer

11. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice camera btw, apart from the numbers on the pictures ;-)

I have a pile of parts including some of the same ones you've used, waiting to be turned into a 90mm 6x17.

12. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1. The ink from the backing paper transfers to the emulsion and leaves a mark. May happen when 120 film is stored long.

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think that's more likely than it being printed through by light as the numbers and marks on your image are lighter than rest of the image. If light was passing through the paper to the emulsion, the numbers and marks would be darker.

Steve.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011
  14. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recall, on a visit to the Ilford/Harman factory, the manager at the roll film line mentioning that special printing ink has to be used on the backing-paper to avoid print-through onto the emulsion. (The printing is, of course, in direct contact with the emulsion surface for the whole time the film is rolled on the spool.) I've seen this print-through myself on a very old B&W film.

If there is no obvious light-leak issue, I'd try the camera with a fresh film.

15. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is what happened when I had a loose roll in my pinhole camera: apart from the expected fogging at the edges, there's also an image of the numbers on the backing paper, although I can't explain how. (Ilford FP4+, so near-black on off-white printing on the paper, and decent quality normally light-tight paper).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3239/2741342351_c690087047_z.jpg?zz=1

16. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would try a roll of fresh film. It's probably more likely from fogging than ink transfer, but it should take quite a lot of light to accomplish that.
    I've changed plenty of rolls in full light and never had a fogging problem. The symptoms make me wonder if the the backing paper my have faded causing the problem.

17. SMBooth

SMBooth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the ideas. In normal usage it will get fresh film, so I 'll just dive right into the Velvia next.. wish me luck.

18. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Some backing papers are black with white numbers though?

19. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    None that I have seen but I stand to be corrected. Ilford paper is white, Kodak is yellow and I think Fujifilm is white too. They are black on the rear i.e. the surface touching the non-emulsion side of the film.

When using a camera with a frame counting window, I have always seen a light coloured paper with dark coloured numbers (or in Ilford's case, slightly darker numbers!).

EDIT: Ilford's papers are white for the majority of their length. The last few inches are black which gives some distinction between exposed and un-exposed film when rolled up.

Steve.

20. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is certainly some cheap and nasty Chinese film with white on black backing paper; there's some in my fridge.

21. wotalegend

wotalegend Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shanghai GP3 (cheap, but not nasty) has black paper with grey numbers - very difficult to see through a red window.

22. frobozz

frobozz Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    On a nearly completely unrelated subject, Ilford paper has light grey numbers on white paper, which I find all but impossible to see through a red window! Is it just me? The black markings near the beginning show up fine. Why on earth do they use light grey for the numbers?

Duncan

23. Athiril

Athiril Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No idea, I use my frame counter.

24. edp

edp Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had a look, mine is "Lucky Film". Cheap and nasty. (curly, can't see the numbers through the red window, slower than box speed, etc.).