Couple of questions regarding Focomat V35

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by darkosaric, Jun 18, 2013.

1. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi all,

recently bulb burnt out in my Focomat V35. It was Osram bulb. So I ordered original Philips from replacementlightbulbs.com because I have read that is much better and brighter. And it is, incomparable.

My questions are:

1) Is there another alternative beside Osram, because Philips will be gone from stock soon, and also 2 bulbs with shipping and custom I paid almost as Focomat itself?

2) I hear sometimes some noise from 220v/12v transformer, I have opened and all looks good. Anybody had this? Something can be done?

thanks,

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Once upon a time there was a conversion kit for the lamp in these.
    It replaced the socket and I think, the lamp retainer.
    You're going to have to search the net for specifics on it, because I surely don't remember(changed one once).

3. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi John,

I will search for it, thanks.

4. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A transformer buzz is generally to be considered acceptable. Simply means the lacquer between the laminates is getting brittle. At some point beyond most of out lifetimes, the core laminates will all go short, and the transformer will overheat . But it's on for such a short time anyway, I'd give it no further thought. Wait for E von Hoegh to chime in on the thread. If he refutes me, I stand corrected.

5. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Tom, good to know that it is acceptable.

6. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You could try replacing just the light-bulb part and re-using the reflector, as was done by the photographer on this link . . .

http://www.theonlinedarkroom.com/2012/10/leitz-v35-original-bulb-fix.html

I always read that the original bulbs (Philips 6604) were out of production decades ago, and that the more recent one (Philips 13139, having a different mount to the 6604) is also now out of production but can still occasionally be found. The Osram has very different specs for the reflector so is rather sub-optimal. A couple of years ago I found a machined aluminium adapter to take the 'new' bulb in the 'old' style of enlarger and, although that was expensive at the time, it does work - if you can find the bulbs.

7. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Most V35s seem to have been converted at some point, and I suspect the OP's current lamp is the Phillips 13139. You can still find them for sale, but they are becoming expensive. I haven't yet considered what to use when they finally run out. I would hate to think that my V35 would become useless. Alex

8. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is Philips 13139. Your (ours) focomats will not be useless :smile: - just you will expose 2-3 minutes instead of 20s with Osram bulb. That is why I am wondering is there a third option.

9. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I will keep my eyes and ears open for a solution! Alex.

10. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  11. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If I recall correctly from reading this link when first published, the exposure times are still much longer than with the Phillips 13139. I'm sure there was also a comment to that effect on the FADU forum recently from someone who had tried this solution. I'm still hopeful that a lamp with similar specs to the 13139 will appear. I have a couple in stock anyway, and they do last a long time. Alex

12. Xpres

Xpres Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've tried all the 'solutions' apart from the LED route. The Osram loses about a stop or more because of its wider beam even if you trim off the bit to ensure a good fit. Converting the lamp with a new long life bulb is good but you still lose a bit of light. Exposure around 40 seconds at 5.6. At least that was my experience with the bulb I chose.