coverage for 7" x 17" camera

Discussion in 'Panoramic Cameras and Accessories' started by will kirchoff, Dec 2, 2007.

1. will kirchoff

will kirchoff Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello all-

I am building a 7 x 17 inch camera that I would like to create a zone plate for. There is a zone plate generator on the site Mr. Pinhole, but I do not know what I should enter as the proper focal length. Can anyone suggest a "normal' focal length for this size format? Thanks for any help- Will

2. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    nominally (7^2+17^2)^0.5 (square root of sum of squares of the side dimensions = nominal diagonal...the actual is a miniscule bit shorter, but insignificantly).

If you have zone plate making capability, great...otherwise go back to f295 and email user POB (Pierre-Olivier) & tell him your project.

3. sanking

sanking Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Large Format

Normal focal length for a 7X17" camera might be in the 450mm - 600mm range. However, many people prefer wide angle lenses for this format, and 305mm is very popular. Bear in mind that with a zone plate you have to be concerned about depth of field, since unlike a pinhole the zone plate lens focuses.

If I were you I would have the zone plate lens made in the 270mm to 350mm range.

Sandy

4. TracyStorer

TracyStorer Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hey Will,
    don't I know you from Boston?
    Many folks like to use the "normal" lens for the "normal" format on which the pano format is based, which in this case might be the defunct 7"x9" format, which would make between 270mm and 305mm a focal length to look at, or in other words, "what Sandy said"
    Best,
    Tracy

5. Deckled Edge

Deckled Edge Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format