Coverage for Super Angulon 47mm f/5.6

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by alexfilm, May 31, 2013.

1. alexfilm

alexfilm Subscriber

Jan 8, 2013
    Medium Format
    I saw this 47mm today and I'm very tempted, but I wanted to know if it would be too wide on a 4x5 Cambo. I have a recessed board, but I understand that may still be pushing things. I'd appreciate any help on this.

Attached Files:

2. AgX

AgX Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Multi Format
    Image circle diameter
    @f 22 @infinity: 123mm

4x5in format diagonal is 154mm

Schneider thus advises it for 6.5x9cm format.
  3. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Multi Format
    Funny you should ask.

As AgX pointed out, a 47 SA won't cover 4x5. If you want a 47 mm Schneider lens that covers 4x5, the 47 SAXL covers 166 mm.

I recently moved to 6x12, got a 4x5 Cambo for that purpose. A 47 SA on a flat board will make infinity on a 4x5 Cambo with the rear standard reversed (shooting landscape requires putting the camera on its side, no big thing) and the tripod mounting block behind the rear standard and, yes, a bag bellows. 6x12 is a stretch for the lens, center filter needed and image quality in the corners is marginal.

For many reasons I shoot 6x12 with a hybrid Cambo, the 4x5 gave me a standard, gg and focuing panel. 2x3 front standard, 4x5 rear standard etc., reversed when necessary, tapered bellows, both pleated and bag. I made the bag myself. But I've measured flange-to-film distances for the 4x5 set up as described above, it is ~ 40 mm. If you don't have my reasons, a 4x5 Cambo is much more economical for 6x12 than my rig.