coverage of Leitz M lenses

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by dpurdy, Feb 13, 2009.

1. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I have just discovered that I can get an adapter for my Pentax 67 to make it take M series lenses. That is a very intriguing idea and I wonder if I would get a full circle of image on the 120 film or just what I would get. Anyone ever checked out the circle of light from an M series lens to see how large it is?

Thanks
    Dennis

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well as the register of the two lens mounts to film plane is very different that's going to impose huge restrictions, certainly no Infinity focus, except some of the M series lenses split & the lens part (minus focus helical) could be fitted in bellows. Any adapter is probably for Leitz macro lenses, and at one time they did make lenses that covered larger formats.

Ian

3. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    27.95 mm for M-mount, and I believe 85 mm for the Pentax 67. As the lenses will be pushed so far out, they'll have greater than the infinity designed coverage, but I'm sure it will greatly vary by lens.

I have the capacity to put LTM mount lenses on my view cameras, so could set up similar circumstances there, but not so well with M lenses. I haven't really tried this yet, so have nothing to report from experience.

A quick test: 50mm Summitar has an image circle of about 106 mm and focuses at about 110 mm when the flange is about 85 mm from the ground glass.

a 75mm C/V Color Heliar has about a 104 mm image circle focused at just over 200 mm when the flange is 85 mm from the film.

So it looks like both these lenses would cover your film. You can do the math to get reproduction ratios.

Then there's the question of the close-up performance of any given lens you might try.

Lee

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2009
  4. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  5. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That adapter is for Visoflex lenses, which have a different flange-to-film standard. There were not a lot of options for Visoflex lenses, and you'd have to find one of those for infinity focus to work. I recall 65mm, 90mm, 135mm, 200mm, and longer lenses designed for Visoflex that should work with this adapter. The item for sale is also apparently a LTM 39mm threaded mount, not a Leica M bayonet mount.

Lee

6. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, Dennis.

First off, it looks like that adapter on E-Bay is for LTM lenses (AKA M39), not M glass.

Then, it is made for Visoflex lenses. These lenses mount to a thick prism housing that attaches to the front of the rangefinder body, making it into an SLR. Thus, infinity focusing is possible on the 67 (or so they claim) because the Visoflex lenses are designed to be mounted significantly farther from the film than a regular LTM lens. If you mount a plain-ol' LTM lens, you will get close focusing only, and will have to do 98% of the focusing by moving the camera body forward and backward in relation to the subject, since the LTM lenses move forward and backward so little to focus. As for image circles, I don't know what they are. I'll be you could get some fun effects, though!

7. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Are you absolutely sure it's not Pentax 67 lenses to Leica M body (which would also include the Visoflex II and III housings? As a general rule, 35 mm lenses will cover 6x7cm at 1:1 macro or larger, not infinity. Exceptions include the 135mm Hektor, which will cover 9x12cm, probably 4x5" as well.

8. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Ouch. I can't hide my ignorance. Sorry for my mistakes. I've never heard of Visoflex lenses. I guess I better do a bit more research.
    thanks again
    Dennis

9. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't apologize. We all know more now than when we woke up this morning. That's usually a good thing. And I now have some known options to try for macro work with roll film backs (or sheet film with greater extension).

http://elshaw.tripod.com/Visoflex/Visoflex.html

Lee

10. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've learned something, too - there is a Visoflex lens (39mm screw thread) to 67 body adapter:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/For-Leica-Lei...1229|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318#ShippingPayment
    Not sure how anyone would use it! At infinity, a Leica lens would probably give a circular image of 50 mm or so. There was a 65mm Elmar lens for the Visoflex which focused from infinity to 1:1, the mark 1 (which I have) is usually reckoned as being not quite as sharp at close distances as the mark II. If I was going to put any 35mm lens on a Pentax 67, I think I'd make it a 55mm Micro-Nikkor, one of the truly great macro lenses.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually what was confusing Dennis was the missing bits :D

Leica screw thread lenses are M39, whereas Leica M lenses are bayonet. Either way some Leica lenses split to fit a Visoflex. The adapter in question is most likely for attaching an M39 lens to a Pentax 67 bellows for macro work, rather than direct to a camera body.

Ian

12. Nicholas Lindan

Nicholas Lindan Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The old 135 Hektor (and 90mm Elmar?) will cover 6x7. The head of the lens unscrews. These aren't telephoto lenses just long focus. I have heard the performance of the Hektor with 4x5 is very good.

13. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There were also some early Leitz lenses designed for larger formats (than 35mm). Ole would probably be able to give more details.

Ian

14. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    None of the Visoflexes took M mount lenses directly and focused to infinity.
    There are a variety of adapters that go between the lens head and the front of the Viso. The most useful was the focusing adapter #16464 used in addition to a sizing adapter for each lens head(L&dia)

15. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A few M mount lenses split to fit the Visoflex. I think my Summicron does but I'm a Continent away from it :D

Ian

16. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian,
    The Summicron was too short to focus with the Viso although the head separates for use with something like a "SOOKY"(?) not sure of the # though.
    Gotta love those old catalog numbers!

17. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For macro work the 50mm Summicron isn't focussed at Infinity :D

My Leica books are in the UK but doing a quick search confirms what I remember, Stephen Gandy says of the DR 50mm Summicron "For Visoflex fans, the focusing head of the DR will unscrew for bellows close up work."

Ian