Cracked film compartment

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by marsbars, Mar 21, 2010.

1. marsbars

marsbars Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Okay here is the problem. A few weekends ago while scrambling on some rocks while out shooting pictures along the river, I dropped my F3. It was either it or me and broken bones don't appeal to me.
    After picking it up and looking it over I couldn't see anything out of the ordinary so all looked good. Considering this F3 has been well used.
    However after finishing the roll some time later I discovered that the inside of the film chamber has a crack in the outer wall and was bent. The film back is a little difficult to close now but it appears to still be making a good seal.
    Should I worry about the crack in the inside or just live with it? I don't want to put any more film through it if all I am going to do is fog it. Fixing it would probably be not worth the cost. I know that the F model nikons have darn good light sealing around the film back.

2. alistair.o

alistair.o Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Marsbars,

After reading your post, I have to say, though I can't shine any light on your query, I can sympathise!

Hope it's all going to be fine.

Regards

Alistair

3. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The F3 is plentiful on the used market. I would simply buy another body.

Perhaps keep that one as a prop for a good story.

4. unclemack

unclemack Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If the final frames of your film were not fogged it's certainly worth trying another film through the camera - for something unimportant :smile:.
    It may be possible to tweak the shell back into shape so the back fits OK.

5. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Twelve exposure roll of some cheap print film ought to tell the story.

A crack can be covered with black tape

6. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I wouldn't trust a camera that has a cracked body.

The fact that the door is difficult to close could be a bad sign. or it could be nothing at all.

It will be difficult to tell if light is being leaked into the film chamber when the door is closed, because you can't be inside the film chamber. However, testing with a roll of film will tell you a lot rather quickly.

I still think you should replace the camera.
    However

7. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Put a cheap roll of fast film in it, shoot a few frames, put the body out in full sun and turn it every few minutes. If any light is getting in, you'll soon find out when you develop it.

Spending the $5-10 for peace of mind seems like the obvious thing to do - certainly better than discarding a body that may or may not be fine.

8. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    that's what gaffer's tape is for. Congratulations on earning your first stripe...