Cranes Platinotype (again)

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by sharperstill, Mar 28, 2010.

1. sharperstill

sharperstill Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi all,

Photographers Formulary have new stock (as of two weeks ago) of Cranes Platinotype (Crane's 90# Cover).

Has anyone tried it? Does anyone know whether the black spot issue was fixed? It's very expensive for me to ship it to Australia, so I'm trying to get a heads up if it's a dud batch.

Jon

2. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Joh,
    I Have a batch as well. As I'm building a new darkroom I shall not know for a little while. What recourse do you think we have?
    Pat

3. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It is not consistent. The paper is made in a variety of mills with different mineral content and seemingly different sizing. It is also made from recycled cotton that comes from a variety of sources. So it is a crap shoot buying it. I have on occasion called Photo Formulary to find out where they were in their batch and to get a sample pack to try before buying a bunch. The last time I did that was over a year ago and it was the worst batch I have ever tried. It didn't even come close to printing a full black. Looked to me like the sizing was all wrong. They are nice people and a sponsor of APUG but I was disappointed after being told it was a good batch and they had had no complaints, to be sent such a crap paper. I have been having better luck finding my own source for it through paper supply houses.
    Dennis

4. Dana Sullivan

Dana Sullivan Advertiser Advertiser

I find that Stonehenge is a great replacement for the Cranes. Stonehenge comes in a variety of colors and has a softer surface like the Cranes. It does absorb a little more solution than Arches Platine and COT-320 (my favorites), but it's still a great paper, and can be found at most American art stores. At Bostick & Sullivan, we will send anyone who asks a sample pack of all the papers that we carry: Arches Platine, Bergger COT-320, Stonehenge, Kozoshi, Lana Aqaurelle, Rives BFK, plus or minus depending on what's in stock.

If you email leigh@bostick-sullivan.com and ask her to get you a free sample pack of papers, she'll make sure the shipping department gets one out to you.

-Dana

5. sharperstill

sharperstill Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dana,
    Did you get my email regarding my palladium solution?

Jon

6. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried Cranes #90 from PF, and it absorbed the sensitizer so quick that it left a splash mark where I poured. Couldn't brush it around quick enough to avoid the mark.
    My preference is COT 320 (from B&S, though they are currently out of stock), and I use the 11X15 for my 8X10s. I've been using Arches Platine for 7X17. Weston Diploma is OK if you don't mind the warm tone of the paper.
    Am looking for an alternative paper for the COT 320 (larger size sheets are very expensive), if anyone has suggestions.

7. sharperstill

sharperstill Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Doug, Was this a recent batch? Say, after the 5th of Mrch 2010 or so?

Jon

8. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jon, I don't see any date on the package; but it would have been sometime last Fall (I believe).

Christopher James, in his Alt Photo Process book, cites several papers as recommended for alt processes. He says that Cranes doesn't work as well for iron processes as in the past (pre 2007).

9. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    my advice to alt printers is to buy a particular paper when you find it works well
    at one time the cranes was the best and very cheap; now it won't work at all
    my recomendation is Fabriano Artistico hp140lb.
    Best, Peter

10. sharperstill

sharperstill Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    does anyone have experience with Strathmore 500? And can anyone indicate exactly which Strathmore 500 has a history of being good with pt/pd printing? For instance there are several different types of Strathmore papers (drawing, charcoal etc) made in a variety of grades (500 being the highest).

I have a single sheet of this paper to try and it looks similar to the Weston Diploma Parchment in finish and colour and is 125gsm...

Jon

11. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I used some strathmore drawing paper once and it was smooth but lacked dmax
    Dennis

12. rbergeman

rbergeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    my favorite papers, after cranes went sour, are arches platine and fabriano artistico hp bright white ...... both have good dmax and artistico seems esp. good for smooth tonal areas -- but artistico is a pain to presoak every sheet and then dry and flatten before you can use it..... i tried the stonehenge that dana mentioned just last week, and it looks like a good paper for a cheap price, but i'm not convinced yet -- b+s recommends using tween with it, which has the effect of sucking the solution into the paper so fast it's a challenge to brush on evenly, esp with larger negs ..... i tried it without the tween, and while i did have more time to brush the solution over the surface of the paper, it didn't soak in thoroughly (it looked great when wet, but after processing the shadows of the print had those tiny pricks of white that, to me, indicate the solution didn't thorougly spread into the fibers) ...... next time i think i'll humidify the paper a bit before coating (in lieu of tween) and maybe use a foam brush -- the risk, i guess, is abrasion of stonehenge's soft surface .... well, there's my two cents anyway
    rich

13. Loris Medici

Loris Medici Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not much a trouble when done in batches. I usually do that by 40 quarter sheets (11x15"); it takes about 2 hours to soak and rinse. I then hang the sheets and flatten under weight. The papers are ready by the next evening... My favourite paper, since it's so good for gum or gumovers.

14. sharperstill

sharperstill Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have quite a stock of Arches Platine, but it's not what I'm looking for for this series. I like the look of the Weston Diploma Parchment (old stock from B+S, not Butler Dearden) that I've been testing and the Strathmore 500 looks similar. Seems there are a few Strathmore 500 papers though (drawing, bristol etc with different finishes). I'm after something that looks more like a document, less like an artwork.

I don't have enough of the Westons left to do the series, and anything I buy will be different as the paper has changed hands since I bought my stock. It is also quite expensive by the time I get it to Australia.

I'm seriously considering some of this, although wet strength isn't great: My friend Gordon uses it a lot.
    http://www.crane.com/PrdSell.aspx?name=21483_CranesCrestLargeSheet28lb.WritingPaper

Jon

15. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I really do not see where adding tween is easier than flattening the Artistico paper
    sign up to Jerry's Artarama and they send out sales every other day...I bought rolls for $99 each...then had my framer cut it up...it might curl a bit but it is worth it; I have treated the paper in Ct. and Florida and have not had any problem printing with the paper...
    Best, Peter

16. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I agree that Artistico is a great and reliable choice these days. The acid treatment is no big deal if you do it in batches. And flattening is not necessary. After it's dry, I just put it in a pile and it flattens out on its own. I've been using this paper for nearly 10 years since its previous incarnation (Fabriano Uno) and it has been very consistent. Admittedly, if you want a paper that looks like Weston, this isn't it.

Jon - How much of the Weston do you need to finish your project? I bought a LOT of it when it very first came out and frankly, I don't like it much. I print large and it's too fragile and yellow for my taste.

17. Dana Sullivan

Dana Sullivan Advertiser Advertiser

Jon (Sharperstill), Strathmore 500 Plate Finish Single Ply is a very thin, extremely smooth surfaced paper that has a good reputation for Platinum/Palladium. In it's current incarnation it needs to be brush coated with a 10% solution of oxalic acid or soaked in a 5% bath before laying down emulsion. The hard surface renders incredibly sharp images with a great D-max, but the light weight might deter some printers.

-Dana

18. sharperstill

sharperstill Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It (Strathmore) sounds interesting. I'll keep an eye out, but for my exhibition I'm either going to re-stock with Weston Dip Parch or Cranes Crest...

Thanks for all your replies and thoughts.

Sincerely,

Jon