Crawley's FX-37 Developer for T-Max/Delta Films

Crawley's FX-37 Developer for T-Max/Delta Films

1. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gerald Koch submitted a new resource:

Crawley's FX-37 Developer for T-Max/Delta Films - Crawley's FX-37 Developer for T-Max/Delta Films

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  2. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Comments from previous article system:

By Rlibersky - 11:39 AM, 07-20-2006 Edit Rating: None
    I have used this formula with Plus-x @100ASA, Bergger @100ASA and Ilford 3200 @1600 with excellent results. Especially with the Ilford 3200. The finest grain I've seen.
    By aligndont - 07:20 PM, 09-02-2006 Edit Rating: None
    I've notice that if you use this developer at 24c and alter developing times as per time/temp converter in massive developing page then you have an exceedingly sharp fine grain developer.
    By craigclu - 05:41 AM, 09-04-2006 Edit Rating: None
    I've finally been getting at some testing for a speed enhancing (or at least attaining rated ISO's) developer. I tested a few things in this today and was pleasantly surprised at the fine grain, too. I got slightly over-developed results with the above times/temps and likely will try moving to 1:5 and see what the grain looks like and get more controllable times. Is anyone else using this and can share some results?
    By Rob Archer - 06:03 PM, 09-13-2006 Edit Rating: None
    How important is it to use distilled water - if so why? (i'm not a chemist!)

Rob
    By Gerald Koch - 06:15 PM, 09-13-2006 Edit Rating: None
    The formula, as published, does not contain any calcium chelating agent. Attempting to add one may throw the pH of the solution off. I recommend using distilled water for all stock solutions of any developer and in this case also for the working solution.

The calcium hardness in tap water can precipitate out onto the film surface as a whitish scum. Using distilled water prevents this.
    By pauldc - 07:30 PM, 09-13-2006 Edit Rating: None
    How do you convert the suggested times from 1:3 to 1:5? I have just made some FX-37 up and am ready to give it a go with Pan F. Also, are there advantages to grain size in going to the 1:5 dilution? And I am assuming that 1:5 means 1 part developer to 5 parts water. Cheers, Paul
    By Gerald Koch - 07:59 PM, 09-13-2006 Edit Rating: None
    I would try 1.5 times the 1+3 times.

As with most developers of this type, the greater dilution should produce increased acutance with a slight increase in grain.

BTW, I actually listed the dilutions as 1+3 and 1+5 to avoid use of the rather ambiguous colon notation such as 1:3.

3. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

Geoffrey Crawley wrote (Amateur Photographer 17 Feb 07) to the effect that the sharpness of FX-37 is the result of the combination of borax and carbonate as alkalis.The carbonate beefs up the the softness given by the borax without a noticeable increase in grain.This is helped by the milder solvent effect of the reduced sulfite content.The formula could be described as a "sharpened-up" D76 with phenidone instead of metol.

4. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used a little of this developer, and it worked fine. I don't buy the speed increase, though. If there is one over comparably dilute D76, it is negligible, as in less than 1/3 stop. At least that was the case in my system with the films I tried, TMX and TMY.

5. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I have been using this stuff at 1+5, 68° F. to develop Tmax 100.. I just love it, sharp with good gradation, economical and the stock keeps very well..Evan Clarke

6. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

FX-37 with bromide only

Here is what Geoffrey Crawley wrote about FX-37 made up with 1g/L potassium bromide and no benzotriazole, taken from Amateur Photographer 15 Oct 2005:
    "The only difference between this and the original FX-37 formula is the increase of potassium bromide from 0.5g to 1g and the consequent omission of benzotriazole,which is difficult to dissolve-a move to help the amateur.That chemical was originally included for the conditions of professional reuse as fog levels can rise.The change has no effect on image quality."

7. gainer

gainer Subscriber

If I were to try FX-37, I would (what else?) put the phenidone and hydroquinone in a separate solution with glycol as solvent so that the working solution would be x*A + y*B +C*H2O. Sooner or later, I would substitute ascorbic acid for the hydroquinone and use TEA or a mixture of TEA and glycol in place of the glycol.

Was not FX-39 the aborted venture into ascorbate? Or am I thinking of some other FX?

8. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been trying it with D3200 to good effect-15 mins 1+5 24C at 3200.Only tried a few rolls of 120 so far but looks promising.Gainer-you were thinking of FX-50 BTW.

9. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    With 1+5 FX37, I rate my 100 Tmax at 100 instead of 80 for other developers and I don't think it will do any more...Evan Clarke

10. Alan Johnson

Alan Johnson Subscriber

From Amateur Photographer 27 August 2005,with their acknowledgements to Geoffrey Crawley for his answer:
    "Below is a guide to development times(for FX-37) of some popular emulsions when rated at their nominal ISO speeds.The developer should be at 20C and used at 1+3 dilution.Agitation should comprise four tank inversions per minute:
    (Extract):
    APX 100 5 mins, Acros 100 7mins, Pan F+ 4 mins, FP4+ 4.5 mins, Delta 100 7.5 mins, 400 Delta 8 mins, T-max 100 8 mins, T-max 400 7 mins."

11. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. john_s

john_s Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The link above is now dead. I have a pdf download of the article and I'll try to place it in the Articles section here at APUG if I can get permission from the author.
    (the article ends with "no distribution without express permission of the author).

I can't find an email address for him.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 18, 2014
  13. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Is this essentially the same as the Adox FX-39?

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/33830-Adox-FX-39-Film-Developer-500ml

14. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    No he sold the IPR of one and published the formula of the other so buy one or mix other.

But the difference between either and Microphen or ID68 is going to need a step wedge...

Microphen will work in your faucet water and ID-68 is ok in mine, mine is uber hard.

15. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Will it keep like Rodinal? (Not 20 years but maybe 2 once opened?) The FX-39 version?

16. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, its keeping ability is closer to that of D-76. Rodinal and HC-110 are really the exceptions as far as longevity is concerned.

17. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    D-76 is a powder, and I thought it only lasts a week once mixed? The whole bottle of FX-39 can't expire that quick after opening?

18. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Kodak's conservative value for D-76 when mixed is 6 months. People on APUG also mention greater values near 9 months, when keep in full glass bottles.

19. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Kodak powder as stock is good for 6 mouths in one of your glass bottles or longer, Microphen the Ilford PQ ditto, Ive kept mine in plastic concertinas for 3m. The FX might drift more.

Rodinal is good as dregs for 25 years personal experience.

20. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Memories are made of this

That's been my experience too.