Creative print hanging on short notice!

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by Pasto, May 12, 2014.

1. Pasto

Pasto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I was just invited to include my pictures in a show scheduled for this coming Saturday! I have the prints ready but no idea how to hang them. I contacted my frame guy and he won't have enough time to frame the prints by Friday, the hanging day. I would appreciate any creative methods that you may have used on short notice, and that looks good as well. I'm now thinking of a backing board and over-matt and then glue-on hardware for the back. I'm just not sure how to keep the overmatt and backing board together (glue, double-sided tape, ??).

Thanks.

2. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    well, if you really want "creative", how about something wacky? I dry my prints by hanging them off coat-hangers, the ones with the clips inbuilt for hanging up skirts. That'd make an interesting exhibition.

3. Colin DeWolfe

Colin DeWolfe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Go to an arts supply store. Get some linen tape and hinge mount the top of the backing board to the mat board. You should also get some other mounting tape to T-hinge mount the print to the backing board (attach tape to backside of print, then tape the bit of tape sticking out sticky side up with a piece of tape crosswise sticky side down in the shape of a t). Use a removable tape. Ask the art supply place.

4. timparkin

timparkin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This worked OK for me...

http://www.onlandscape.co.uk/2014/02/exhibition-planning-part-2/#/

5. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any leaking or failing large format film holders work well for holding prints.

6. trythis

trythis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I hung a show with paint stirring sticks clipped behind print with the little office supply pinch clips. Two on top and two on bottom with fishing line running through the top two. The sticks kept the photos flat, having one on the bottom kept em heavy enough to notcurl or blow around.

Instant, cheap, quality...ok maybe 2 out of 3.

sent from phone. excuse my typing.

7. NB23

NB23 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ikea?

8. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about glass and L-pins?

Or, Michaels (not sure you have them in Montreal though) have clip frames which are masonite, glass and little clips that hold them together. The masonite has hanging hardware pre-fastened on the back.

9. ShannonG

ShannonG Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I did a show once with mounted prints. I built risers out of foam core( brings the prints out away from the wall) did sevrall difrent distances from the wall 1 inch-6 inches so one can overlap prints in a configeration that resembled a wall sculpture.

10. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We had a show at VCP a few months ago where the artist put 4 nails in the wall (for each print) and held the print to them with rare earth magnets on each corner. No mat or backing at all. Laying out the nails is fussy, but everything else is easy.

11. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Find a new Framer.. this should be a normal request.

12. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Or similar to above, put metal eyelets in each corner and nail to wall through those. Or put a horizontal string between two nails and suspend the prints from the string with paper clips or bulldog clips.

13. eddie

eddie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Bob. My framer has worked late to meet my needs on a few occasions. It's why I continue (10+ years) to use them, even though they're a 90 minute round trip drive for me.
    If that's not possible, though, can the prints fit into pre-made mats/frames from an art supply store? Presentation is important. If everyone else has their work nicely framed, and your work isn't, people may interpret it as a lack of respect for your own work.

14. Dr Croubie

Dr Croubie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or alternatively, you could argue that "my work is so good it doesn't need a fancy frame to make it look good, it stands on its own".
    That the joy of art, no matter what you do you can justify it with a few creative sentences.