Cross Processing at Jessops

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by milkplus-mesto, Apr 13, 2008.

1. milkplus-mesto

milkplus-mesto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So, i've been shooting some E-6, and was wondering, if jessops would process it as C-41 film, to get the look i'm looking for. Also, i haven't had any concrete information on this, but it would still come out as slide film, just with more contrast, right?

And would they charge me for E-6 (£8.99) or for C-41 (£3.99)?

Considering they know me there, (and were happy to put my C-41 straight through whilst I waited, considerably undercutting their 1/2 hour photos promise) do you reckon they'd do it?

Thanks, Milkplus.

2. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you know them, why not ask them? :smile:

I've always found Jessops very helpful, particularly if you choose a quiet time (not Saturday mornings!).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2008
  3. milkplus-mesto

milkplus-mesto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    yeah, i'll wander down there tomorrow when i've got some spare time and see if they do it or not, i was just wondering if anyone here had asked them before.

4. Justin Cormack

Justin Cormack Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No it doesnt come out as slide film, it comes out as negative film, although with different effects. I dont know about Jessops, but many places do it, and should charge same as C41.

5. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You'll have to ask - where I am some of the 1-hr chains are pretty picky about only developing film that has "c-41" printed on the canister, and will refuse to process anything else (but some will process things like bulk-rolls without issue).

Also, here a lot of places charge an extra fee for xpro, which makes no sense at all, as they don't have to do anything differently and it has no adverse effect on their chemistry.

6. GeoffHill

GeoffHill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'va taken E6 films to tesco before. Because the person there didn't know the difference between E6 and C41, it was never questioned, but she did mention that the negs were a funny blue purple instead of orange, when I came to collect them.

7. thomsonrc

thomsonrc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I took some slide film to a local independent shop last year, they were happy to x process but when I went to collect them they said that the digital printer could print from them, so I paid for processing and prints and only got processing.

Geoff, did you get prints from Tesco?

Ritchie

8. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    £8.99 sounds like a very expensive E6 service.

I guess they send away because I doubt they have a precessor for E6 in the shop so you might aswell send direct to someone like:

www.palmlabs.co.uk

Also, Palm use "dip and dunk" processors (for both E6 and C41), whereas a lot of labs use roller transport. The former is generally considered superior.

Matt

9. GeoffHill

GeoffHill Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Got dev, 36 6x4 prints and scan to CD for about £7. The X-pro shots I have in my gallery are Tesco's Scans of my Provia 400X negs

10. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Would Jessops staff know what crossed processing is, or would they look at you as if you were a dangerous lunatic when you explained ?

11. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's interesting....not come across Palm Labs before. I've just checked their website and they seem to offer a very wide range of services. They also invite you to call them if you have odd film sizes to process.
    I'll probably give them a try. :smile:

12. Matt5791

Matt5791 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Steve and Simon are very experienced printers and lab technicians - and they have the latest gear too, like the new RA4 50" paper processor they installed a couple of months ago and the Chromira Printer they bought last year, for exhibition prints to 50" wide.

They do lots of mail order. Tell them where you heard of them - I keep telling them they should advertise on APUG.

Matt