Crown Tripod (1903)

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by Whiteymorange, Oct 7, 2007.

1. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a beautiful old Rochester Optical and Camera Co. Universal 8x10 yesterday and started the clean-up job this morning. It came with a Crown folding tripod... well, three quarters of a Crown folding tripod to be more accurate. The legs are there, the top is not. Clearly, this is a separate piece that mounts on the camera base and attaches to the three legs with brass pins of some sort.

Anyone have an idea what this part may look like? I can probably construct something, but I'd love to have an idea of how the original worked. The legs are in great shape, solid and clean.

Thanks in advance

2. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Think of a wooden platter about 7 inches in diameter. There will be a bolt going through the center to thread into the camera base. On the side with the bolthead you will see six brackets arranged in pairs. Each bracket will have a pin. You mount the tripod by squeezing the leg halves together. (Think like tongs here.) The legs engage the pins and push against the brackets.

3. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great. Thanks. I think I get it. I couldn't figure out on first try whether the leg "tongs" went inside a set of pins or outside a tongue of wood with a long pin threaded through the entire bit, if you get my meaning. There is a brass spacer down a few inches on each pair, to keep the top pieces from closing and falling off the pins, I suppose. If I can't find one, I'll make it.

4. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  5. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format