Crystal Archive Type II and Kodak RA-RT?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Jim Rice, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Jim Rice

Jim Rice Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am slowly setting up an RA-4 darkroom and gleaning as much information as I can along the way. There seem to be a number of folk here that say not to use Fuji paper with Kodak chemistry. Specifically, my plan was to use CA II with RA-RT in a roller transport environment. Is this an alligator just waiting to chomp my ass? Eventually I plan to go with some sort of manually temperature controlled drum rig for those few prints I want to produce in larger sizes, so your thoughts on that would be appreciated as well. Thanks, ~j

2. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I use this combination with excellent results.

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

4. anikin

anikin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +2 I actually prefer CA paper over Kodak. Call me weird.

5. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Considering that Kodak paper can only be bought in UK as rolls and not cut sheets that is a big incentive to buy Fuji. I didn't like Fuji at first but it has it's good points as I now find. However the base on which Fuji is coated is quite a bit thinner than Kodak so it will form kinks easier, I could be persuaded back to Kodak should they see fit to sell it in cut sizes. For one thing, I find the blacks on Kodak paper are a lot better and purer than Fuji

6. Jim Rice

Jim Rice Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or alternatively, are there any third-party cutters of Endura in the US?

7. Greg Davis

Greg Davis Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    There is one company, Ultrafine, but there have been complaints that it is fogged by a safelight when they cut it.

8. RPC

RPC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In side-by-side comparisons I have done with CA II and Endura in RA-RT developer, they are nearly identical with the Kodak having slightly better shadow detail.

9. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    To my eyes Fuji ca and kodak premiere are two very different papers that yield distinctly different results. I prefer the premiere - cleaner whites, reasonable saturation and contrast, more neutral palette, better dmax.

Currently I'm up to my ears in 11" wide kodak endura premiere, f surface should anyone like to try a box of 50 or 100 sheets. I've sold a few boxes here in the past. PM me if interested.

10. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the people starting to do RA-4 processing is certainly encouraging. I may just haul out the Jobo and do some again myself.

I processed Fuji Crystal Archive in standard Kodak RA-4 chemicals (not the machine versions) for years with good results. I have heard of people using Fuji paper in Kodak machines and vice-versa with good results, but I have no experience there.