"Cult" point-and-shoot cameras

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by TheSohnly, Nov 28, 2009.

1. TheSohnly

TheSohnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Rollei 35, 35s, 35t, 35se, 35te, 35 classic
    Yashica T4, T4 super, T5
    Leica Minilux, Leica CM
    Contax T, T2, T3
    Nikon 35Ti, 28Ti
    Olympus XA, Olympus Stylus Epic
    Ricoh GR1

Am I missing anything serious from this list? I'm looking for something to bring along with me everyday now that my Olympus Trip 35 is in disrepair.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
  2. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Trip 35 is still available, as far as I know... I believe last year I bought the very last Stylus Epic B&H had in stock. Still haven't used it, it's a backup for my other Stylus Epic, but you're likely able to find them new or nearly new on eBay.

3. Leighgion

Leighgion Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you just want one camera, I'd say your list of candidates is more than good enough to work with. I sure can't think of any obvious candidate that isn't on it already.

4. pcooklin

pcooklin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. Excalibur2

Excalibur2 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  6. andresalegria

andresalegria Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    how about an ultra wide & slim?

7. rosey

rosey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the little Pentax UC-1 (Espio in Europe) qualifies as a cult classic. I have one of each. The difference is that the UC-1 is silver and the Espio is black.

8. TheSohnly

TheSohnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    (for fear of internet backlash and flaming, i'm not knocking the trip 35 at all) I want something quality that can fit in my pockets easily without someone asking, "is that a camera in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"

I don't like the vingetting on the lens that I see in every picture, though it does look nice.

I'll put it on the list. It looks nice and it looks like it produces decent results.

The Olympus XA(1/2/3/4) and the Stylus Epic Deluxe seem to be the cheapest but expensive cameras are expensive for a reason, one would think.

9. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holga?

I consider the Rollei 35 a uncoupled rangefinder, not a point and shoot, but have it your way :tongue:

10. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would add the variety of Canon Sureshots to the list. Maybe not "cult" cameras, but likely the best image quality you will get in a $5 (or less!) thrift store camera. IME, they are best when used for static subject matter at the widest lens setting in good light with a very steady hand...like all P/S cameras, really.

Here is a decent example. It was shot using Fuji Superia 800 (Press). It is a 100% unchanged scan from the Noritsu at CVS. Not bad for an unmanipulated low-quality scan of a high-speed film, displayed at about 8x linear enlargement on the Web, though my handmade RA prints from this camera obviously look significantly better. This picture does not show it off, but the lens is sharp...especially when you load the camera with a slower film than Press 800 and print the pix yourself.

The pic was taken by my friend, who is not a "photographer", per se, using a Sureshot bought in a thrift shop in Joshua Tree, CA for $3. She fell in love with the pictures she was getting when borrowing mine, which I have had since new in the '90s, so I got her this thrift shop one. On this same trip, I also picked up another one for myself for $5 in a thrift shop in Lincoln Park, MI.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8266378@N05/4141818719/sizes/l/

I am sure Nikon and some other companies made comparable cameras.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
  11. jtzordon

jtzordon Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    add the Olympus XA2

12. TheSohnly

TheSohnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    no

it's already on the list. XA is a blanket term for the 4 xa cameras. Although the xa1/xa4 would be on the top.

13. HerrBremerhaven

HerrBremerhaven Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rollei AFM35, which I think is now still produced as a Fuji compact. Very impressive lens, if you can find one of these cameras.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Minolta TC-1

16. andrewc

andrewc Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Pentax PC35AF, a very cool little camera with a great lens and an auxiliary motor drive. Also the Minolta AF-C and possibly the Canon MC. Both of these have superb lenses. The Nikon L35AF is another outstanding p&s camera with a superb lens.

Andy

17. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I don't know that I would consider the Olympus XA or Rollei 35 as point and shoots. The Rollei 35 AFM is a point and shoot, in the sense that it has autofocus, autowind and autoexposure.

The Minox 35 certainly is more point and shoot than the Rollei, as would be the Rolleimatic.

18. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fuji Natura

19. phenix

phenix Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikon One Touch.

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Minox 35 GT

21. Rol_Lei Nut

Rol_Lei Nut Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While not technically P&S (but then neither the Rolleis & the Olympus XA are either): One of the various Kodak Retinas, one of the "real" Voigtländers (Vito, Vitomatic) the Minox 35 and the Lomo... ;-)

22. werra

werra Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  23. TheSohnly

TheSohnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I went to the local flea markets and junk shops today (about 10 in all) and I couldn't even find a Canon Sureshot.
    What a waste of time. And craigslist didn't help either

24. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, since you are in a rush, why don't you trade me your Electro 35 kit for one of mine?

Seriously...You cannot expect to find everything you want in a thrift shop right off the bat. That is not how thrift shops work. They get in what they get in, whenever they happen to get it. It takes time and chance, and lots of tries. I don't know how many thrift shops I crawl constantly, and I have lucked out with decent, usable cameras perhaps a dozen times in my life, if that. Check E-Bay if you are in a rush. The ones like I am talking about go for $5 or less there; sometimes for 99 cents. Even after $5 or so for shipping, that is still cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2009
  25. TheSohnly

TheSohnly Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I went to about 10 junk shops today and I figured that I would find SOMETHING of halfway decent quality that I could start with and move up eventually.
    Just me being too naive I guess. Reality check, if you will.

26. Perry Way

Perry Way Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What makes it a cult? Is it perception or does quality have anything to do with it?