Curiosity, and how (not to?) take a photograph.

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by Stephanie Brim, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been away from any form of film photography for three years. While I have been shooting digital, I wanted to make sure I still knew my way around a large format camera since I'll be using one the most in the work I'm about to start doing. I noticed that I had some old APX 100 in the holders from when I last loaded them all the years ago and, since I did, I may as well use the film instead of just pulling it out and basically wasting it...so I shot a photo of my husband to play around with the Apotar I had done this with previously.

This was, by no means, supposed to be a serious photograph. It was a test of quite a few variables: whether my developer was still good, whether I could still work the large camera, whether the holder was light tight for all those years. Needless to say, I was somewhat surprised to get a photograph that I actually like.

[​IMG]

I like the shadow behind him. I like the darkening at the sides. I like the fact that it draws the eye toward the middle, and to him. I like that the walls are marked and the shadow at the left side is there. I...just like this. I'm actually going to redo it on fresh film this weekend (though probably without that shadow, as it was a chair that was just slightly out of frame).

There has been discussion about missed photo opportunities and discussion about how you know when you've made a bad photograph. So how about some discussion on when you take a photograph that you never thought you'd like, but end up loving anyway?

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Move in much closer and get intimate with the face. It will be more interesting.

3. emayoh

emayoh Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know much about your question, but I do like the way the shadow of the fellow looks like a cape... almost like his secret identity is revealed.

4. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To me it's not much of a keeper but it's definitely an interesting shadow. So you keep track of how you lit it and in the future set up something that IS a keeper.

I agree it looks like a cape, so perhaps a portrait of someone who is someone you admire who does good things.

Not all pictures are keepers but they can all be teaching moments.

5. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The plan right now is to redo it with film that isn't expired on Saturday. I'm sure that the 'cape' is from how he's holding his arms. Lighting was a 200 watt daylight compact fluorescent above and, oh, 3 feet away, and another 100 watt at about hip level pointed directly at him.

Edit: I'm also buying a loupe, even if it's a cheap one. I was slightly off focus, but pretty close if the big scan is anything to go by.

Edit again: and, yeah, the COMPOSITION is more what I want to do again, not the scanning artifacts and the film defects. Heh.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2012
  6. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is he wearing a Scottish kilt? The portrait raises the doubt without solving it.

7. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, not a kilt. Flannel pants, actually. It was 10:30PM when I took the shot.