Curious Rollei Question

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ektagraphic, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello- I have often wondered.....On the front of the Rolleiflex WLF (front when open) there are three metal posts. Two of them look as if something could possibly be screwed into them and one does not have a hole. What is the purpose of these? To mount some kind of flash? To mount a rangefinder? I have been wondering for while :smile:

Patrick

2. fdisilvestro

fdisilvestro Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those are for mounting a mask for the rolleikin, a set of accesories to use 35mm film in the rolleiflex

3. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for solving my mystery :smile: I have know of the Rolleifkin but have never seen one...I'll go have a look now...

4. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Is there anyone here that uses the Rolleikin? I actually may want to get one to shoot some of my last Kodachrome in the Rollei...idk though.

5. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You'd do better using that Kodachrome in a real 35 mm camera.

6. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 35mm adapter in 6x6 or any MF camera is just a gimmick. Why would you want to shoot a small format in a camera set up for medium?

7. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have to agree with guitstik. Many years ago I struggled and saved for almost a year to buy a brand new Yashica 635. This was my first step into M/F. After I saw that first roll of 120 I never put that 35mm junk into my camera. In fact I stopped using 35mm altogether for almost 25 years until a job came along that required 35mm.

If you don't have any 35mm equipment you can buy a film point & shoot at a swap for a bunch less than a collector priced Rolleikin.

8. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When Franke & Heidecke developed the Rolleikin in the mid 30's some films were only availble in 35mm. You could buy the Agfa cassettes for the Rolleikin, and shoot Agfacolor (colour slide film).

9. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Rolleikin makes the camera into a very nice portrait camera. 80mm lens, portrait orientation, no SLR mirror to flop around, better interaction with subject because you are not hidden behind the camera. Just remember to use it at the same aperture you would use an 80mm lens on any other 35mm camera (ie f8 or whatever).

10. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think it is nice that they made such a thingy.

However, unless - as J. Patric said - they are to be used with film that's only available in 35 mm, i too don't think these thingies make much sense.
    That same nice portrait could be had by cropping the 6x6 the Rollei normally produces. No need to have to expose a full roll of 35 mm just because for one shot cropping to a smaller format would create a nice angle of view for a portrait.
    Even the 35 mm adapters that make use of the full width of the camera's film gate don't make much sense to me.

Still, nice that they made it.
    Better to have an option and not need it than not have the option at all. That thought may sound silly, but it has other virtues. It's that thingy we call "luxury", and somehow we all appreciate it. :wink:

11. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1 Back in the day it may have been a good idea to use all the films that were available, but that is no the case with the prolific choices we have. Move forward not back. If you want to shoot 35mm use a 35mm camera. It might be nice to have it for a novelty but not for practicality. I see all the time on eBay for the conversion kits to use the whole film of 35mm in a camera meant for another format, If I am going to modify, I will modify my old bellows six-16 camera to use 4x5 sheet film not the other way around.

12. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There was a market for the Rolleikin when it was made, and some Rolleis had the 35mm counter film knob already installed when new, but that was dropped with the F-series. I've used the Rolleikin on a Rolleicord once, just to try it out. Nothing wrong with it if you want to shoot 35mm with a Rollei TLR. If you want to, you want to, and it may be fun. I have no other reason to use my 1930's Rolleis, when I have the post-war models, than for fun and the "feeling", but hey! I like them!

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you have a subject that calls for both 35mm film and a waist-level finder, I can see the advantage of the Rolleikin.

It is a little bit like the 645 backs I recently acquired for my RB67.

14. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You get better resolution from a 6x6 cropped for than you would from 35mm.

15. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not unless the 35 mm film is less good than the 120 film.

16. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you should tell us why you believe this is so! :D

17. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used the Rolleikin with my 3.5F and transparency film. Results are superb and pin sharp as only the centre of the image area is used. Portrait orientation of course, unless the prism finder is used.

18. outwest

outwest Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I picked up a Rolleikin for my 2.8C because it was only $15 and the camera was all set up for it. What the heck! I ran a roll through it and was amazed. The sweet spot of that 2.8C was really sweet - SHARP and contrasty. It is not a rinky dink conversion but a very well engineered one. Who knows, someday we made need something to shoot up the last of the 35mm film in.

19. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe more even resolution center to edge, but not better.

20. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is possible that I don't know what the heck I am talking about, that's what my wife tells me. I had not considered the 35mm conversion kit for my Rollie's due to the fact I have several 35mm cameras with a large selection of glass that give excellent picture resolution. I may have to rethink that but the reason I shoot MF is for the larger negative and clarity when enlarged beyond standard print sizes. If I am missing out on something please enlighten me that's why I'm here, to learn.

21. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The wording makes it sound like you mean cropping 6X6 to 35mm size. If you meant cropped to 35mm aspect ratio that's a little different.