Current Bromoil Papers?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by M Carter, Feb 12, 2015.

1. M Carter

M Carter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anyone doing bromoil these days? I'm wondering what readily available papers people are having good results with.

I was using Fomabrom 123 for Bromoil and lith - but the emulsion change that killed the lithability seems to have affected inking as well - having trouble getting much ink density.

I know David Lewis sells paper, but he only has 8x10. I assume he's repackaging paper vs. having something custom manufactured?

What are the preferred papers these days?

2. thefizz

thefizz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Slavich Unibrom has been reported to work but I have not tried it yet.

3. 73764

73764 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm not a bromoilist but Imago Photographic Bromoil FB is available at least in Europe up to the size 16x20. It's possibly the same paper David Lewis is selling.

4. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where exactly if I may ask?

5. OP
    M Carter

M Carter Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wonder about the shipping costs... would love to try that.

6. Will S

Will S Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    David Lewis's paper is available. I just bought some 8x10 from him and it worked very well. http://www.bromoil.com/

7. GLSmyth

GLSmyth Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I do quite a bit of Bromoil and am currently working on images from the Aran Islands.

I wrote an article a while back on currently available Bromoil papers and placed it at http://www.alternativephotography.com/wp/processes/bromoils/papers-for-the-bromoil-process. The Kentmere paper is unfortunately no longer manufactured.

I've got a lot of Fomabrom in the freezer so I do not know about any emulsion change.

The Slavich paper works well but unfortunately is not available in the United States.

I have not tried the David Lewis paper because, alas, it is only available in 8x10", as my common size is 11x14".

Imago Photographic Bromoil FB sounds quite promising but when I looked to purchase a single pack, the shipping cost to the U.S. came to $53. (I doubt that this is the David Lewis paper, as it is not available in 8x10" but comes in European sizes.)

Would there be any interest in making a bulk purchase of Imago Photographic Bromoil FB? If I knew that it was a great paper then I would be fine with making a very large purchase and freezing it, but if it holds no advantage over Fomabrom then the cost would not justify it.

There are two possibilities outside of the above that one may not think about.

The first is that fogged paper can be used. If you note the example in the article I wrote you can see that paper one would normally toss as hopeless can very possibly still be employed.

The other options is to make your own paper. Emil Schildt has been doing this for quite some time and his wonderful results can be found at http://www.blurb.com/b/3544067-bromoil-printing-using-liquid-emulsion-as-base.

Cheers -

george

8. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    My apologies if this is OT, but since we're looking for alternative papers, check out this wonderful Bromoil print (a portrait) posted by FlashGordeon today in the APUG gallery: http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showimage.php?i=79627&goto=newpost

He used a paper negative and for printing: "Zerkall 340 g, Liquid Emulsion, Dektol, bleach, Joopstoop etching ink"

# EDIT: it might be that you have to be a "subscriber" to APUG to be able to see the Gallery. #

9. GLSmyth

GLSmyth Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It's too bad that I cannot see the image. That said, I administer the Bromoil group on Flickr (https://www.flickr.com/groups/bromoil/) where anyone can post and anyone can see.

Cheers -

george

10. toguko

toguko Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "Let us confirm that the remaining stock of the paper FOMABROM VAR.IV 123 was discontinued because of too high fog. This paper will not be supplied in the future.
    Instead of this paper we recommend to you the following related papers: FOMATONE MG Classic 133 (velvet, warm tone) or FOMABROM 113 N (Normal grade, velvet, neutral tone). More details you can find in the attached technical sheets."

"MULTIGRADE IV FB Fiber
    This product has been replaced by ILFORD MULTIGRADE FB CLASSIC and will only be available while stocks last."

Has anyone tried these papers? Do they work?
    Does anyone have any success with some other common photographic papers?

11. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Just curious if anyone has already found an answer to this question ??

12. ColinRH

ColinRH Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've been using Fomobrom 112 and it seems to work OK. In fact its the only paper I've used and as I'm new to the process haven't tried anything else.

13. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    I've ordered the newly announced Bromoil printing paper from Foma:
    Fomabrom Variant IV 123 BO

I ordered it in 2 sizes through the webshop of Foma itself.
    Fomabrom Variant IV 123 BO 17,8x24 CM/50 sheets = Euro 17.94
    Fomabrom Variant IV 123 BO 12,7x17,8 CM/100 sheets = Euro 15.56
    (There are larger sizes available too)

Examples from Foma:
    [​IMG]

It was also announced by Freestyle:
    "Fomabrom Variant IV 123 is now a new emulsion designed for Bromoil, lith and other alternatives processes and is not recommend for straight black and white printing."
    Freestyle expects availability from July 2017. See:
    http://www.freestylephoto.biz/430161-Fomabrom-Variant-IV-123-VC-FB-Velvet-16x20-10-Sheets

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  14. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    update: I received confirmation that the order is shipped. So it is available form Foma now. :smile:

edit: I received it today.
    - Fomabrom Variant IV 123 BO - 12,7x17,8 CM/100 sheets (15,56 EURO)
    - Fomabrom Variant IV 123 BO - 17,8x24 CM/50 sheets (17,94 EURO)

IMG_4781.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  15. ColinRH

ColinRH Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Well seen Mr Toadmen,
    If you haven't already tried the paper, perhaps you would give an opinion when you have.
    Thanks.

16. Richard.L

Richard.L Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    the paper handles very well in wet processing - even drying flatter than most other papers I use (less curl). it liths, but not anything special.. in a dilute dektol 1:7, a bromoil tan/bleach shows pronounced matrix, so should ink with wide ink skills. What it does easier than other papers I've worked with is - etch-lift (mordancage).
    since prior bromoil papers could be used for carbros, this should also be useful for carbro work...

buy it, try it

17. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    It might take a while before I can test it myself, but a friend of mine will probably test it sooner. I'll let you know how it went.

I got some questions about the production date mentioned on the label. Here is a photo of the back side of the labels of both formats with the emulsion numbers 8827/04 and 8827/06.
    IMG_4958.jpg IMG_4959.jpg

18. ColinRH

ColinRH Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hm! Interesting!

19. ColinRH

ColinRH Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Richard.L Paper sounds good and definitely worth a try. Thanks.