Current Status of Velvia 50?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Stewart Skelt, May 7, 2008.

1. Stewart Skelt

Stewart Skelt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi. After a few months during which other things have distracted me from photography, a forthcoming holiday in Italy has caused me to dust off the Hasselblad and Horseman. I contacted one of my favourite film sellers to buy some Velvia 50 220 and was told that this had been discontinued.

What? A few months ago the magazines were talking about the reintroduction of Velvia 50. Can anyone advise on the availability of Velvia 50 in 120, 220 and 4x5? Can any Australian readers point me to Australian retailers?

thanks

2. tim_walls

tim_walls Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The current status of Velvia 50 is 'overrated' :D

I keed, I keed... Anyway, checking the datasheet, it is allegedly available in 220, but only in 5-roll packs not by the roll; I've seen at least one vendor in the UK claiming to sell it, but of course you never really know until you place an order... It does seem to be readily available in 35mm, 120, and 4x5" though.

Of course, what the datasheet also says is "Some sizes are not available in certain markets." Perhaps Mr Frizza (have I remembered the spelling right?) can point you in the right direction for the situation in Oz!

3. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have you tried Vanbar?

4. Stewart Skelt

Stewart Skelt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes. They are the ones who claimed it was discontinued.

5. trotkiller

trotkiller Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is not the first nor will it be the last time vendors have told somebody that...
    See here

I shouldn't be too hard on Vanbar, they do stock gear that most other don't...

I get my Velvia 50 220 from Japan, from Megaperls

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2008
  6. David Grenet

David Grenet Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may want to ask them why it's still on their website then :wink:

If you're in Sydney, Ted's on Pitt St may have it in 120, but I don't think they stock 220. Last time I was in Foto Riesel their film fridge was out of order so I can't really comment on whether they would have it.

7. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The trouble is, Vanbar really do not care.

8. rwheat

rwheat Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You might try PRA Imaging 1800444677 or Camera Electronic 08 93284405
    in Perth.
    Richard.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've just looked at the Fuji data sheet for the new Velvia emulsion, and it says they make it in 35mm, 120, 220, and all the way up to 10x8. I've been buying the new stuff in35mm and 120 from a local pro dealer for a few months now, I just called them and they don't have 220 in stock but confirm it is available.

10. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would definitely look at megaperls if you are buying more than a few rolls. The AUD is quite strong against the yen. Dirk is a very easy guy to deal with. At least do a price comparison vs buying in Oz.
    I'm sure if it had been discontinued we'd have read about it here by now.

11. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Definitely available in the U.S. I just bought three pro-packs of 120 about an hour ago in Manhattan and the dates are for the end of 2009. Calumet had a fridge full of Velvia 50 and 100 in 35mm, 120 and 4x5. They also had two boxes of 8x10 that someone was coming to pick up.